Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Alzo 300 LED light
    Anyone worked with these yet?

http://www.alzovideo.com/alzo-3000-h...ensity-led.htm

9000 lm/1m ain't bad and seems to be a good source for all kinds of light modeling.
    I can't seem to find any specs regarding color accuracy though.
    Searching for a strong LED to through in the bag (no 1x1 panels) and can't afford the likes of Nila ect.

UPDATE

here are member's reviews and thoughts who got their hands on it:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ED-light/page5
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ED-light/page7
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...post1986384390
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...D-light/page12

UPDATE 2:
    The thread got pretty long, I was in contact with Alzo ect...here's a short summary of my personal opinion:

I like the output of the unit, it's plenty! Idk if it's a 1000W equivalent but it's plenty.
    Color is good imo.
    Built quality is really nice, rugged but lightweight, good for using with light modifiers.
    The only downside - and a big one for me - is the noise level of the fan. Like a loud desktop computer.
    For many to most situations it should be ok but not for critical sound recording (think low voiced dialogue in narrative work, ambient/stereo sound recording).

Alzo though wrote me that the light can for example be wrapped with a thick blanket (underside must be left open!) to dampen the noise for 20 minutes without problems!

I like the unit for it's ease of use, light output and quality, lightweight and it's hard light source with the possibility to be modeled.
    I guess I'll have to live with the noise dampening workaround for now.

For the money it's a really nice daylight imo.

UPDATE 3!

I replaced the original cooling fan of the Alzo 3000 with a Noctua NF-B9 fan due to recommendation of forum member rjp85 who works a lot with computer fans.

It is now completely silent!

The
    Noctua NF-B9 fan puts through less air but has a greater pressure which helps as the fan sits in the middle of big heat sinks.
    So far it looks (and sounds) really good.

Reminder, this modification will most likely void the warranty.
    Last edited by stip; 01-08-2014 at 01:29 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I saw this at one of the Creatasphere expos last year. Great light! Nice "single source' shadow...not quite as hard as a true fresnel, but very pleasing. Alzo "daylight' has always been around 5300k. A tad warm, but great for skin tones.
    Can't remember if the power cord is removeable or fixed. Build quality on the sample I saw was pretty rugged.

I would have bought one of these on the spot had production models been available at the time.

Hope this helps.
    Ken

3. Collapse Details
    Helps a lot, thanks.
    In their video they are rating it at CRI 90. I'll try to order one but am living in Europe, don't know if they ship there. If they do will post my thoughts.

4. Collapse Details
    Looks very promising to me. I might have to check one of these out.

5. Collapse Details
    just something to think about: get an HID ballast kit from Alzo and a 150 HID lamp from Richard and put them together with a photoflood or fresnel fixture. OR an ETC PAR with Richards lamps. Great color and a lot of footcandles. Add diffusion of course, but then you have a fixture with some throw and control.

6. Collapse Details
    I was thinking that myself. Pick up some used fresnels and do a retrofit/upgrade.
    Buy a Tripod, Use the Tripod.

7. Collapse Details
    Review by Jem from thec47 http://thec47.com/gearbox/alzo-3000.html

8. Collapse Details
    around 800 footcandles at 1 meter of near 5600k light for around $300 is pretty good in my books.
    Dennis Hingsberg

9. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    That is a very interesting light. From just looking at the pictures and videos, I do have to say that I am very much not impressed with the mounting hardware for stand mounting. Is that plastic? It looks like something off of a $50.00 Smith-Victor light. In both the video from the Alzo site and the video that mcm posted the light does not sit level on the stand. That worries me as it means that there is extra stress on the mounting point for that side mount. I do use quit a few inexpensive lights and the one of the biggest problems I run across with them are issues with the cheap mounting hardware. They break and get loose very quickly, which is a major PITA. A Y yoke with a taped hole for a proper TVMP would be sweet on a light like that.

kplo, you said that you saw one in person, how is the build quality on the lights. That has always been my concern with Alzo products. They just don't look that well built to me. What did you think of the build quality?

All that being said, a light like this would be very handy. Shoot, if those photometrics are right and that light has the output of a 1K tungsten light with a power draw of only 100 watts AC, then a light like that would be a Godsend on low budget night exteriors, for example. The biggest projects I have worked on (Well running time and shooting schedule-wise anyway; I have made more money on industrials) have been low budget horror flicks. Invariably I have found myself having to shoot a night exterior scene or two where I did not have access to appropriate electrical power. I put together a couple of 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC inverters to help with lighting scenes like that. I have a 100 watt (AC output) that plugs directly in a cars 12 volt power socket (Or cigarette lighter) and a 300 watt inverter that clips to an automobile battery. Up to now I have only used low powered tungsten lights with the inverters, with results that I were always a compromise. Having lights like that Alzo would make a world of difference on low budget night exteriors without proper electrical power. Running a couple, or more, 1K lights off of 12 volt DC, with a DC to AC inverter, on a night exterior, is something I have wished for for a long time. Having a light this powerful, able to be powered off of automobile 12 volt power would also make a difference when shooting day car interiors. I am impressed with these lights, with the reservations noted above of course. Dang, it is a good time to be a filmmaker!

Safety tip, if using DC to AC inverters off of automobile power, get a very good set of jumper cables. Trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by mcm View Post

In the above video, the presenter says something like, "Most camera systems will allow you to dial in Minus green". Hmmm, I am not a fan of custom white balance, I use minus green gels for the LEDs and CFLs I use now.
    Outside of custom white balance, how would one, "Dial in Minus green" in camera?
    Last edited by David G. Smith; 11-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

10. Collapse Details
    Safety tip, if using DC to AC inverters off of automobile power, get a very good set of jumper cables. Trust me!
    +1 on this. I engineered a solar DC power system for a friends custom RV last year with a 2000w inverter. The max current draw for the inverter at 12v was 180 amps. We used #0000 feeder cables from the battery back rated for 400 amps.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast