Thread: Blackout

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    I dug it! This one had what not many others had, scope. You went all out on making it as bombastic and cinematic as possible. Plus I liked the concept, love supernatural/weird creature flicks
    In my top 5, thanks for sharing!

2. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Great sound design and action in the opening.

Good art direction in the Tarp furni pad tent - nice push in while she’s getting geared up.
    Nice set!

Something about the sound of the generator made me feel like I was hearing the scratch track of the camera for a second - like I was hearing the location generator and it took me out for a second. Maybe have it more muted in the wide shot and then really blast it to that level in the close shot when it gets turned off?

Where the hell did you get this set?!

Nice Dialogue:
    Can’t help it that you’re a born runner, and I was born good looking. Someone’s been lying to you.
    Gives a sense of the place and enough to like the characters a bit.

Another great set with the dome thing - what the hell?

Great pull up and away from the laying down embrace.

You clearly know what you’re doing and this was a fun well put together ride.

My only suggestions would maybe be some POV shots form the perspective of the things in the dark - this would make it a little clearer what’s happening at times like when she gets the gash on her leg. A low angle POV rushing up to her leg with a sound maybe. Like the Evil in Evil Dead kind of. I get that you were keeping exactly what was out there a mystery though and maybe this would be too much. The other suggestion would be maybe you could go a little farther with the color grading - the piece is very genre-y / video gamey (not in a bad way) and maybe (though not certain) it could benefit form a slightly more intense grade - like the matrix or something. Might pull all the art direction together even more - give it a real unified and heightened look.

Great job for sure.

And way to represent Austin BTW!
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

3. Collapse Details
    I never feel there is quite as much as to say with films such as Black Out, (but I'll manage hehe.)

Clearly you have aimed to produce a very cinematic, commercial genre style film that showcases a range of production skills and tight storytelling. Traditionally, with dvxfest festivals this would have won straight out - as often the most commercial films would! The fact it didn't shouldn't discourage you, but the fact that you won the audience award on the contrary should encourage you.

I say that as a filmmaker more inclined towards work such as The Two Wolves (incidentally btw I didn't vote in time for any films in this festival.) but I want to point out just how well you did in case you felt any disappointment!

So to the film, you have produced the kind of short that provides entertainment, emotional investment and suspense. We care about this girl, and she has a friend/potential lover/ we are in a desperate world taking desperate measures. That's it - we're engaged, plus we have villains and monsters in the shape of shadow creatures that genuinely unnerve.

When the characters talk of 'Creepers' we remember the term, as we're on the team with the Runner now - following on her lonely trials and tribulations across the apocalyptic wasteland.

So... this is commercial style cinema, done at it's best imo, tight story, sentimentality and suspense. 95% of indie filmmakers will spend (ridiculous amounts of time in their filmmaking careers) producing shorts emulating commercial work without grasping some of the essential elements you are already implementing into your film.

Now all you have to do bro, is make a modest feature... and for it to sell in the market, it might not have to be thaaaaat much bigger!!!

Well done on an excellent film!
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for watching guys! Means a lot that you enjoyed it.

Jace: Thanks! I enjoyed your projects too!

Jack Daniel Stanley: Thanks for watching and leaving comments. We actually shoot POV REAPERVISION shots but they didn't really come out well. Something we probably should have tested more in pre-production. I am still working on post-production even today so I'll take a crack at making the POV's stand out more as such. Definitely can toy around with the color-grading to give a more stylized look! Thanks again!

lawriejaffa: Thanks for watching! I'm glad you liked it and took the time to leave your thoughts!

Best,
    Andy
    Contact me about being your location sound mixer or videographer in the Austin area
    Audio - PSC M4A+ 4ch mixer, Tascam DR60d, Fostex FR2LE, Sennheiser 416t, Audix SC1xHC, Audio-Technica AT822 Stereo Mic, Rode Blimp
    BM4k - 17-50mm F2.8 Sigma
    GH2, Lumix 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, 14-42mm, Speedbooster
    Nikon Prime Set

5. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    I skimmed the thread...

Sets - built? Found and dressed?
    Being from Austin - inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

6. Collapse Details
    Hey Jack,

The Dome was found. This is a private owner that I used to work with.

The Fort was found but dressed with the lights and door. This is a paintball field fort outside of Austin.

The Tents and Safety Lights were built and dressed.

Thanks!
    Andy
    Contact me about being your location sound mixer or videographer in the Austin area
    Audio - PSC M4A+ 4ch mixer, Tascam DR60d, Fostex FR2LE, Sennheiser 416t, Audix SC1xHC, Audio-Technica AT822 Stereo Mic, Rode Blimp
    BM4k - 17-50mm F2.8 Sigma
    GH2, Lumix 14mm, 20mm, 45mm, 14-42mm, Speedbooster
    Nikon Prime Set

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123