1. Collapse Details
    P2 clips won't play or delete in P2 Viewer
    Question

Clips with the X won't play or delete. When I tried to delete , it says " Read Only, can't delete clip"

The clips only malfunction after metadata editing, and I did the exact same metadata editing procedure in a different clip on a different folder and the clip plays fine.
    NOt sure what is happening, no matter what metadata editing procedure I use, the clips get "corrupted" an "X" appears on them and they can't be played or deleted. Nor can they be restored to what they originally were, even if I erase the folder from the Ingest Folders, and Register it again. If no metadata editing is done on the clips, they play fine, no "X" appears on them. I am thinking the Folder is corrupt, because I've tried 2 other P2 Folders with clips, and they've allowed me to do metadata editing on them. Out of frustration I re-installed P2 Viewer ( the old version ) and the same clips refuse to accept any metadata editing, they show the X as well, can't be deleted, but at least they play.
    Not sure if it matters, but the folders giving me trouble, were originally "Virtual P2 Cards" , whereas the newer folders not giving me trouble were simply copied and pasted to the hard drive ( and then registered in P2 Viewer Plus )

2. Collapse Details
    The yellow "X" means the clip needs to be repaired. Put the P2 card back in the camera and use the "repair clip" function.

3. Collapse Details
    I deleted those clips from the P2 card quite a while ago Barry! These "corrupt" folders, are "Virtual P2 Cards" ! The thing that puzzles me, is that only yesterday, before I did any metadata editing on this particular folder, ALL of the clips were fine. They all played normally. No "X" on any of them. Only AFTER attempting to do some metadata editing on them via P2 Viewer Plus, the clips appear corrupt, displaying the X. Any other way to repair them? When I try to delete them P2 Viewer tells me "no can't do, READ ONLY" !

4. Collapse Details
    Clearly you messed something up when trying to edit the metadata. If they were fine before then, but failed afterwards, that was clearly the problem. I don't know what you could have done to the metadata to mess them up, I've never encountered that before.

The metadata is a text file in the CLIP directory. Try just viewing it in a text editor, and compare it to one from a clip that still works, and see if you can identify where it all went wrong?

5. Collapse Details
    They can be deleted manually by going into the card directory and deleting all the files that are prefixed with the clip name. First you'd have to change the p2 viewer data display to show the clip name, not the unique clip ID; it should be something like 0000RJ. Then you go in the individual directories and delete all the files that start with those names. For example, VIDEO/0000RJ.mxf, AUDIO/0000RJ00.mxf, AUDIO/0000RJ01.mxf, etc.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Clearly you messed something up when trying to edit the metadata. If they were fine before then, but failed afterwards, that was clearly the problem.
    I will briefly describe what I was trying to do in P2 Viewer Plus.
    I have a bunch of folders with P2 clips on my hard drive. Some of them are "Virtual P2 Cards" some are just Entire P2 cards copied and pasted in their respective folder directories. My goal was to edit the metadata in some of these clips in P2 Viewer Plus, and have it permanently stored and displayed on the clips for future reference. Tried this a few times, and the metadata would be editable... but once P2 Viewer exited it was gone. Next time I viewed the clips from P2 Viewer, the metadata edits were no longer there. ( SD Card was always plugged in throughout this process ) I had to manually recall them using

File>Open>MTDT00.P2

So I attempted to remedy this by trying Save As... Save to SD Card, Save MXF. , Paste to Clip, etc. I noticed new .P2 files were created every time I tried any of the "save" options. Inspite of this, P2 Viewer WOULD NOT recall the metadata for display automatically. I would have to do it manually as described above. So I started deleting some of these .P2 files, as they were not proving useful. Creating new .P2 files and deleting them again and again may have erased something important... which is why edited P2 clips became corrupt.

I have found now a metadata editing procedure that works for me, without having to use any of the "Save" functions, but this procedure only works in the newer folders, not in the old "Virtual P2 Cards".
    Last edited by EDV; 09-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Needless to say , the pdf manual did not help. Tells me what "Save As" or "erase" do, but not "WHY" or "when" to use and not use these functions.
    I am still trying to figure out the role of .P2 files. If I've got 30 different folders, with hundreds of different mxf clips on them, do all the metadata edits get automatically saved to the same .P2 file ( ie. MTDT00.P2 ) ? Or do I need to create a different .P2 file for every new folder ( ie. MTDT01.P2 , MTDT02.P2 , MTDT03.P2 , etc. ) ?? Right now I've tried two different folder directories, and it seems they're both using the same MTDT00.P2 source file. Metadata Edits stay permanently on the mxf files as intended.

8. Collapse Details
    The MTDT0x.P2 file is a collection of metadata settings that can be loaded into, or saved out of, a camera. They are not related to any individual clip or any individual card at all.

Each individual clip has its own metadata properties. Those properties per clip are saved in the CLIP directory within the P2 structure. Every P2 clip has a base filename of four numbers and two letters, so -- example, 0000RJ.MXF. In the AUDIO folder you'd find 0000RJ.MXF for video. In the AUDIO folder you'll find four clips, representing each audio track for that clip, so there's 0000RJ00.MXF, 0000RJ01.MXF, 0000RJ02.MXF, and 0000RJ03.MXF. Then there's a thumbnail icon stored in the ICON folder, that'd be 0000RJ.BMP. Finally, there's the clip information and metadata, that's in the CLIP folder, and that'd be 0000RJ.XML.

So, no, you don't make more P2 files, those are only for loading into a camera. When you use P2 Viewer to modify the metadata into a clip, it gets written into the CLIP directory as an XML file.