Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New iPhone 5S shoots 120fps
    The new iPhone shoots video in 120 frames per second. Although only in 720p but nonetheless. Pretty amazing for a phone ;)
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/
    Seems to be a bunch of other nice improvements to the camera, too.

This got me wondering, will this lead to the expactation that professional cameras should too? Let's say you have a C100 and you're hired to shoot a video for someone, and they say, "what if we do this in like real slow motion" and you say "sorry, we have to rent another camera for that." And they go "what you mean, even my iPhone shoots 120fps, I thought you had a pro camera?".

Or will it become a gimmick now that anyone can do it and seen as a cheap effect whereas before it was a bit of a luxury?
    Last edited by dmitrizigany; 09-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I thought the same thing. It's definitely a valid point.

If anyone brings up stuff like that I usually overwhelm them with tech-talk about control of focus/iris/shutter-speed/uncompressed audio & dynamic range and they quickly back off and sheepishly say "okay" even though in the back of my mind I'm sometimes like "you've got a good point, sir". The way I see it, most people now have the ability to shoot HD with their phones but they understand that there's a huge difference in what you can do with a real video camera vs. a cell phone even though they are both HD. I can totally see high frame rates becoming a "thing" now in these devices. It's gonna be like every FS700 video you saw when that camera came out times a million. Mark my words, every social network app is gonna soon be flooded with slow-mo shots of people smacking each other with water balloons and belly flopping in pools. I for one have built a business almost entirely upon using slow motion so I'm sure I'll be getting these sheep coming my way soon.

While news like this initially makes me go "oh crap" as I imagine scenarios like the one you mentioned, in the end I feel like as long as I know how to edit really well, I'll always be one step ahead because without editing, all you got is a crap load of footage.

3. Collapse Details
    That is adamantly a nice feature, but it pales in comparison with the ability to shoot in square mode. "perfect for sharing on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, wherever."

Simply amazing.

4. Collapse Details
    AHHHHHHGGGHHHH Slow motion is becoming like sharp nose tips everything else out of focus when the 5dMk2 came out. I'm tired of seeing super slow mo. I skip about 80% through vids that are just slow mo. Unless it's a hot chick bouncing on a bed, lets not film anymore needless slow motion.

5. Collapse Details
    Slomo is nice and all, but can we get people to stop shooting vertical video?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrius Simutis View Post
    Slomo is nice and all, but can we get people to stop shooting vertical video?
    Now you will have 1000's of vertical slo mo videos! LOL. A double whammy!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    AHHHHHHGGGHHHH Slow motion is becoming like sharp nose tips everything else out of focus when the 5dMk2 came out. I'm tired of seeing super slow mo. I skip about 80% through vids that are just slow mo. Unless it's a hot chick bouncing on a bed, lets not film anymore needless slow motion.
    That's actually my current project: Hot Chicks bouncing on beds volumes 1-5. Still working on the script.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Or will it become a gimmick now that anyone can do it and seen as a cheap effect whereas before it was a bit of a luxury?
    I think with the reasonably affordability of the Epic slow mo has become pretty old hat and cliche already - the only thing that still impresses me is a good Phantom video, it will be a good while before 1000+ frames a second is the norm.

9. Collapse Details
    I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to do slo mo or overcranking in the past five years!

I don't get how everyone is hailing shallow DOF one minute but then raving about 4k fones with super slo mo the next!

or do I just smell marketing bulls*%t as usual?

3D super-slomo 4K anyone?
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

10. Collapse Details
    I'll take 720p120 over 4K ANY DAY. Even if it was nice and sharp 4K, but even more so if it is the crappy 4K I would expect from a phone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast