Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You *HAVE* to watch this.
    Virtual reality is already here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bytIGCeGxo

I'm still picking up the pieces of my jaw.

Would love to see a discussion of us filmmakers about this. It's going to affect everything. Education, communication, research&design, planning... etc). Limitless possibilities.

PS: watch the other video samples from this dude. Totally worth it.
    I'm a filmmaker, an educator, a technician, and sometimes philosopher.
    www.dillonthomasdigital.com

2. Collapse Details
    woah. better than 4k.

This is why I hate trickling out technology. haha. There will always be something better.

3. Collapse Details
    This has so much potential, but honestly count me as someone that thinks the potential is mostly bad. Once virtual reality really takes off and becomes mainstream, our lack of genuine interaction with other human beings will grow even more. We think the internet and games are addictive already, wait until you can literally immerse yourself in it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @jg_henderson

4. Collapse Details
    there goes our social life...
    Ted Ramasola
    Allen, TX, U.S.A

http://ramasolaproductions.com

5. Collapse Details
    While very cool technology, when I see stuff like this I worry that movies could die if some sort of VR were to catch on someday. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I wouldn't be shocked if 'movies' as we think of them today completely die out in my lifetime.

Now, I think for games and interactive entertainment or education, VR is certainly a neat tool. I would definitely miss traditional films though. I mean it can't be all VR can it? People just running around in some MMO type VR world, stopping to stare at stuff or go off the beaten path. One thing that movies (and novels) still have is that they are the vision of a singular artist. Even big budget movies with their army of craftsman and technicians, are still visions of the director. I know nowadays with video games we sort of get some of that at times (Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Solid for example), but I still don't see that type of specific vision shining through with a game that audiences and readers get with movies and prose fiction.

Think about it. With a novel or short story, a writer tells us a story. With a movie a filmmaker shows us the audience a story. In a game or VR sim, we take control, and while we are nudged along certain pathways, we interact with the fictive world. We step over the threshold and break the fourth wall to become part of the tale unfolding. I hope that the different mediums can still coexist after the general public is wowed by VR. The way things are going now though, the younger generation is growing up in a world that is all about manipulating data with ever advancing tools of expression and social media. A couple more generations from now, will there be much desire at all for singular artistic visions versus the notion of complete control over imaginary places?

6. Collapse Details
    Bizarre. I've yet to use a smartphone... in denial. Now this. Dunno what to think...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by greymog View Post
    Bizarre. I've yet to use a smartphone... in denial. Now this. Dunno what to think...
    While I'm not anti-technology, somedays I feel like we are too connected with all the smartphones and social media. On one hand, a smartphone or tablet is a nice tool to have for both personal convenience and business use, but can be annoying as well. If you do want some peace and quiet these days, it is sometimes impossible as everyone expects to get ahold of you in seconds. I'm finding some people don't even tolerate a callback or text reply an hour or two later. They know I have a cell phone and I should be at their beck and call. Technology seems to be making us slaves to each other. We're not allowed to have any time to ourselves unless we are asleep in the middle of the night, on a vacation (even then not always free), or just go off the grid.

Next it will be Google Goggles. If those catch on I bet a pair will be nearly mandatory to stay on top of things in both the big business and small business realms.

8. Collapse Details
    Amen man. Nothing spells success like a landline and an answering machine in this day and age. That's my goal. I have a laptop. It's enough for me. I wonder how people are going to keep fit.

9. Collapse Details
    It will give all the graduates something to do as they can't get a job due to their inability to act as human beings but at least we won't have to put up with their attitude anymore in Macdonalds !
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by greymog View Post
    Amen man. Nothing spells success like a landline and an answering machine in this day and age. That's my goal. I have a laptop. It's enough for me. I wonder how people are going to keep fit.
    Imagine being on the tread mill hooked up to this and instead of just staring at CNN or E news on the TV at the gym you're hiking Mt. Everest or running from dinosaurs...faster! must go faster!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast