1. Collapse Details
    DVX won't recognize tape
    I've started having this issue this past month where my DVX will display the red "no tape" icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen as I am filming.This happens even when I have plenty of time left on the tape.I'm able to playback on the camera fine and I usually just switch to VCR mode and playback the tape before going backk to record mode hoping that the tapeheads will read the tape better or something.For the first time yesterday though, something unexpected happened where when I ran out of tape, I tried to borrow my friend's tape and the dvx would just not read or recognize the tape at all.I was told that it is possible for some cameras to have issues with switching tape brands but I would never have believed that they couldn't play them at all. I primarily film with Sony tapes but have also used Panasonic and JVC brands before.The particular brand I tried that wouldn't work at all were Maxell tapes.
    If anyone could help as to let me know whether this is sort of common of if I have some possible serious issues with me tapeheads I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    The issue with switching brands of tape was that the heads would become clogged very quickly. I assume you've done a thorough cleaning of your DVX's heads? That's the first step to take to try to resolve the issue of it not seeing or recognizing tapes.

3. Collapse Details
    Another quick question: Were you hand holding the camera while shooting?

4. Collapse Details
    By simple curiosity, why hand holding a DVX100 would be an issue for the camera that won't recognize any tapes? I know by experience that it can trigger the PSD-NG message at some point in time. But for the tape?

5. Collapse Details
    If pressure on the hand strap is pulling the tape door outward, it can cause the camera to think the door is open, thus not recognizing the tape. It's been known to happen occasionally. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.

6. Collapse Details
    Good thinking! I asked my self that once or two will I was hand holding my camera in 5 years... It make sense!