1. Collapse Details
    1930s Black & White movies
    Hi,
    today I'm doing something different. I want to use the dvx to do a short horror flick with some nice masks I made, but actually I don't know, how to set the scene files (again...).
    First I've done it with high detail level and high contrast. The result looks really modern.
    Then I tried the film look, with less detail and everything 0, then the grain is a bit to high.
    Any suggestions?
    I don't have the time to try every possible setting.
    I want it to look like in The Mummy with Karloff.
    I think the camera can do it.
    Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    If you're going for the 1930s film look, a la "The Mummy," you need to focus on your lighting as much as (if not more than) your camera's picture profile. The film is high-contrast, and much of that comes from harsh lighting with hard shadows. You might also have to work on grading the footage in post. The simple truth is that the DVX will not (cannot) respond like film, especially old film. It can get close to more modern 16mm with the cine gamma, but for what you're wanting it's going to rely heavily on lighting and post processing.

Set your EVF to monochrome and tweak your camera settings as needed. I post, desaturated your footage and then push the contrast. Add film grain, dust, and scratches if you really want the campy look.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Shooting black and white has as LEAST as much to do with what you put in front of the camera as it does with scene file settings. It's not just a case of shooting color and then removing the color.

If you want The Mummy, you're going to be doing a lot of hard lighting and deep shadows. And you'll create a lot of contrast by minding the dark and light objects you have in the image.

And actually, IMO, The Mummy does have a softer, grainier look:

LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

4. Collapse Details
    ok.thanks.

5. Collapse Details
    If you have fresnel lights, you'll find that flooding them out will create the most crisp shadows. The more you spot them, the softer the edges of shadows become. Experiment with that until you find the look you're going for. I love that look!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFilms View Post
    If you have fresnel lights, you'll find that flooding them out will create the most crisp shadows. The more you spot them, the softer the edges of shadows become. Experiment with that until you find the look you're going for. I love that look!
    got one. for better lightning I should use at least 2 more. let's see what I could do about that...
    I'll do some shots this weekend.
    maybe I get the look without the pc ;)

by the way, does anybody know a humanoid monster that hasn't been already done?

sometimes I've got a feeling that I know to much...but most of the time I know nothing ;)

7. Collapse Details
    A golem.

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    A golem.
    I own a copy of this movie...I think therefore it has already been done

I was thinking of something "new"... like an evil man with no hands, but then I saw "The Unknown"...and so on....
    Everything that's like: he is ugly, therefore he is supposed to be bad, but a blind girl falls in love with him etc. every time it's something like the invisible man, frankenstein (book) or something everybody has already seen a hundred times.

but I still want to do monsters ^^

9. Collapse Details
    Minotaur!