Thread: The Well

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details
    Greg it was great to meet you and help out however I could with your film! I don't think i told you but, my fav part of your film is the last few minutes, when you cut forward in time and we see the kid all growed up. The actor looks cool, the lighting in the house looks cool, and your cinematography was great in those last few minutes.
    I think a lesson learned or something to take into consideration is that you made this short hard on yourself. You shot in an awesome location as tourists were everywhere, you stole the location, which is so cool, but so hard! and you also used high school kids, going for the goonies vibe obviously.

on your next movie, try using simpler locations and use some older more seasoned adult actors. you'l find it'll make things a lot easier!

that being said, i really liked the plot of your movie. it had a strong finish!
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    Greg it was great to meet you and help out however I could with your film! I don't think i told you but, my fav part of your film is the last few minutes, when you cut forward in time and we see the kid all growed up. The actor looks cool, the lighting in the house looks cool, and your cinematography was great in those last few minutes.
    I think a lesson learned or something to take into consideration is that you made this short hard on yourself. You shot in an awesome location as tourists were everywhere, you stole the location, which is so cool, but so hard! and you also used high school kids, going for the goonies vibe obviously.

on your next movie, try using simpler locations and use some older more seasoned adult actors. you'l find it'll make things a lot easier!

that being said, i really liked the plot of your movie. it had a strong finish!
    Thanks Matt, that means a lot. I will agree. I spent more time then I can count merely waiting for dirt bikes, buggies...off road vehicles or tourists to pass by and go out of ear range so we could continue filming. On top of that I spent the remainder of the time couching the kids on how to act........so yeah, Matt you hit it right on the head.

Next film, K.I.S.S. is in effect!

3. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Nice title graphic and sound.

Nice sound design once they’re first in the well.

Cool low mist - in camera? post? Both? A few shots late in the film I could tell it was post but it looks great.

Like the shots of the kids standing under the well with the ripe somehow warm lights on the walls and rope and cool light on the actors - looked good and added depth.

Nice sound design and flares once the girl goes down the well.

A lot of it looks soft and there’s some weird shutter, or motion blur, or frame blending thing going on. Maybe frame blending? When I went back and frame by framed to see the red corpse again there was a frame where the red corpse is overlaid over the screaming girl before we cut to her? Also some of the mist doesn't seemed to be affected by this problem - my first clue that some of it was post.

Cool red corpse though.

Nice embers when we see the creature. Some of the mist doesn’t look great though.

“Hey fishstick. Eat this.”
    Classic.
    Or maybe its sounded like he said “fish dick”. Either way. Fun line.

“I’m making a wish”. Fun.

The flash forward at the end felt very Stephen King (in a good way). He has several stories where childhood sins or a brush with the supernatural comes back to bite the adult versions of the characters or they have to band together and deal with it.

I liked the slime the first time it showed up. I like it even more when he finds it on the windowsill. Great and very simple device to tie the past and present together.

I started making shorts at DVXuser too.
    Especially for your first one, I'd say you did... WELL.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

4. Collapse Details
    I helped Greg with some of the post on this short, and there was no weird frame blending or strobing (or whatever people are seeing) as we worked on it.
    I think maybe Greg exported it wonky or maybe the upload to youtube got screwy? Greg, any ideas? Jack thanks for the review, Greg did a good job on his first short for sure.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

5. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Cool Matt. And good looking out hooking a first time DVXfest filmmaker up.
    Yeah let's figure that frame thing out.
    I think you can swap a video out once it's loaded on Youtube right?
    Know you can on Vimeo.

And Nick, lines like "Hey fish stick, eat this" and "I'm making a wish." Are maybe half the reason I want to make movies in the first place .
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Jack...a lot. We knew going into this that we were going to have an element of cheese, so being children of the 80's we went with it.....the lines came with us. "Hey Fish Dick, Making a Wish" and other innuendos gave us the laugh. I am glad you enjoyed.

As far as the whole image/blending...thing... it is beyond me. I didn't notice it until after it was uploaded. Granted, towards the end I was in a hurry to get it uploaded and submitted...so it was either a render thing or a YouTube thing.

Yes, Matthew came in and saved the day for me. He gave the film a real flare which was desperately needed. There is nothing better than when you start something and people help out in ways that goes beyond ones expectations. It doesn't happen everyday and I am very grateful.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678