1. Collapse Details
    Heroes of Cosplay
    Did anyone watch the heroes of Cosplay on the Sy Fy channel? I like cosplay because first of all, hot girls in skimpy costumes, but also cool genres I like such as science fiction and super heroes, plus the craftsmanship that goes into making a cosplay costume is like making props for movies, and if done well Cosplay looks pretty good on the screen, although usually not as good as Hollywood, but that's to be expected since it's not usually lit and shot like a Hollywood production.

I like Faceoff, the SyFy show about FX make up. And I thought HEroes of Cosplay would be good, but wow...the Cosplayers were just so catty and unlikeable. They were all about the contest, and who's who, and critiquing each other, and all in all just very superficial.

I think even runway models are nicer.

http://www.syfy.com/heroesofcosplay

2. Collapse Details
    Never interested me, but I find the evolution of the culture interesting, particularly that hot actresses who otherwise have zero interest in the subject matter have found a way to make a living at it. It's interesting, because it's not something which would have ever crossed their minds even 20 years ago. Maybe not even 10 years ago.

But I suppose that's part-and-parcel with geek culture becoming far more mainstream.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Never interested me, but I find the evolution of the culture interesting, particularly that hot actresses who otherwise have zero interest in the subject matter have found a way to make a living at it. It's interesting, because it's not something which would have ever crossed their minds even 20 years ago. Maybe not even 10 years ago.

But I suppose that's part-and-parcel with geek culture becoming far more mainstream.
    I think that's a fair observation. It's not like they don't know anything about it, they actually do. But not because they are interested in Anime, Super Heroes, video games, etc., not because they are fans. It's just to research their character and their costume to win a contest.

I guess it's kind of turned into a beauty pageant with costumes.

4. Collapse Details
    I was watching it. I looked up a few of them, and I realized that Chloe, the red head in the second episode, seems to be primarily an actress and model. She's also the host of a cosplay show on the nerdist channel, but doesn't seem to even list cosplay as a hobby or interest. She's probably a great example of what David said.

It's catty and superficial, because that's how everyone is when there's competition. People are their worst. The geek culture is already filled with a lot of egos and pointless drama, but throw in a competition and money as a prize, it's no surprise. ALSO, it's a TV show. So of course the producers are going to make sure it comes off as being catty and superficial.

Meh, it's an okay show, but it's a reality show.
    "Dialogue should simply be a sound among other sounds, just something that comes out of the mouths of people whose eyes tell the story in visual terms." - Alfred Hitchcock

5. Collapse Details
    But the reactions to women in "geek culture" by men are equally as interesting. Without knowing more about a lot of these women, the assumption is usually that they're fakes somehow using "geek chic" to get ahead. Ahead at what? And who cares? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I haven't seen this same amount of scrutiny cast upon male gamers, cosplayers, etc. It's almost a misogynistic witch hunt at times...

http://tdotcomics.ca/cosplay-misogyny/

http://jezebel.com/5922961/the-fight...some-big-names

http://www.themarysue.com/destructoi...f-in-the-foot/

I dunno. Personally I don't think being a geek's as cool as it's marketed as anyway, so I don't get the appeal at protecting the fort from the yucky girls with cuties thing.
    Last edited by vcassel; 08-25-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Screenwriter
    Los Angeles Center Studios Offices

6. Collapse Details
    If they're able to exploit a market, then more power to 'em.

But dude, come on. Geek culture is not their natural habitat. Anyone who's spent a week in high school can tell you that.

Can you assume it of any one person? No. Can you assume it in the general sense? Oh, yes.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

7. Collapse Details
    Cosplay?

Is that when you dress up like Bill Cosby or one of the Huxtables and either act out episodes of The Cosby Show or perform elaborately silly dance routines like in the opening credits sequence?