Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, I don't know about that -- he still hadn't destroyed the Matrix at the end of the first one; he just said he was planning to -- and the way he did it implied it was a lot harder than just seeing the code. A decent sequel could have followed. Think of it like a superhero film; he got his powers, but evil isn't totally vanquished. There's still more to do.

Agreed totally on Highlander, but The Matrix wasn't that.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

2. Collapse Details
    The Wachowskis are one hit wonders. As storytellers, they are as complete as Lana-dana-ding-dong.

Matrix sequels are just as bad as Star Wars prequels. At least Ep one had the last stand of John Williams epic ohpoo pooyeah'edness...

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CallaghanFilms View Post
    At least Ep one had the last stand of John Williams epic ohpoo pooyeah'edness...
    He's signed on to Episode VII, so provided he lives a few more years (a big if), it won't be the last of it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CallaghanFilms View Post
    The Wachowskis are one hit wonders.
    Bound was good too. So two hits for me.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Missed it at the cinema so second ep of matrix, DVD. I was set for the night. 30 minutes later was doing something else.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    He's signed on to Episode VII, so provided he lives a few more years (a big if), it won't be the last of it.
    Oh, he'll finish it, it just won't resonate in the acoustics of timelessness like his body if work UP TO EPISODE ONE will...

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Well, I don't know about that -- he still hadn't destroyed the Matrix at the end of the first one; he just said he was planning to -- and the way he did it implied it was a lot harder than just seeing the code. A decent sequel could have followed. Think of it like a superhero film; he got his powers, but evil isn't totally vanquished. There's still more to do.
    I think they missed an opportunity with the sequels, especially with Reloaded, in not having the regular populace (the plugged-in citizens) seeing Neo as this awesome superhero. If one wanted to change the perception of people still tied into the matrix, showing them all these great powers and being a champion for the people would be one way to do it. Start showing them not only who the enemies are (Agents of the machines), but that their world is an illusion. Or maybe the machine overlords can wipe everyone's collective memory so they don't remember seeing Neo doing some heroic act? That would have been really interesting though, to see how the machines were trying to continue putting up the illusion.

We really saw none of that in the sequels. We only got "The Kid" character in the sequels who basically saw Neo as his hero, and a scene of the religious followers of The One waiting for Neo to return to Zion. There was some dialogue about how they freed a bunch more people in the time between the first film and Reloaded, but that's about it. I'm not saying that the sequels should have focused solely on that, but less Zion and more of the actual matrix city setting would have been preferable. Even looking at the stuff we got of the in-matrix sequences, there doesn't seem to be any consequences to the actions of either faction in many cases. It really feels much more like a video game, where as the first Matrix film felt like a video game a bit too, but one that was more like an MMO I guess. The difference between the computer controlling everything and actual people populating a virtual world. In the sequels, entire battles like Neo versus hundreds of Agent Smiths just goes on without hardly anyone noticing. And it was in the middle of a park surrounded by apartment buildings! A lot of the action in the sequels was cool, but also felt a bit sterile compared to the first film's action set pieces. The action bits in The Matrix were shorter but sweeter.

Oddly enough, this is why I much prefer Revolutions over Reloaded. The Matrix Revolutions actually had some action scenes and an overall feeling that seemed more in tune with the first film. Not only did the action seem more focused, it was more varied. Even the epic battle for Zion felt like it meant something beyond the cool effects because at least it was people fighting for their home. Not just some fancy pants kung fu scene or slick car chase like in Reloaded. Also, the ending fight in the rain was much more dynamic and interesting than the Neo versus hundreds of Smiths. They blew their wad with that one in the second film. They should have not had such an over-the-top fight that early in the progression of the sequels.

Having said all that, I don't know if I agree with the Matrix sequels being as bad as Batutta states. I certainly will take them over Highlander II, Star Wars Episodes I & II, Terminator 3, Alien Resurrection, AvP, JJ Abrams' Star Trek, or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sheesh! Wanna talk about a horrible sequel, the fourth Indiana Jones was just a mess.

8. Collapse Details
    Reloaded was terrible. I was bored the very first time I watched it in theaters, because Neo was invincible the whole time.

I actually enjoyed Revolutions though, because it added some drama back into the film.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nektonic View Post
    II certainly will take them over Highlander II, Star Wars Episodes I & II, Terminator 3, Alien Resurrection, AvP, JJ Abrams' Star Trek, or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Sheesh! Wanna talk about a horrible sequel, the fourth Indiana Jones was just a mess.
    You're making me sadder.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by agcohn View Post
    I actually enjoyed Revolutions though, because it added some drama back into the film.
    Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought regarding The Matrix Revolutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    You're making me sadder.
    I remember someone on this forum calling Star Trek (2009 reboot), something along the lines of a "grade A turd-burger".

That term seems to pop into my head oftentimes when people discuss movies that disappointed them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast