Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Matrix Reloaded...was it always so horrible?
    I hadn't seen it since it first came out on dvd. My opinion of it then was that it was a mess, but intriguing, with some good sequences in it. Seeing it again now, it was damn near unwatchable, a jumbled collection of half baked ideas swirling in a sh*tstorm of dated cgi enhanced wire-fu and endless philosophical digressions. Most of all, it's just a terrible story that is close to being incomprehensible to anyone who didn't see the first movie. I watched it just after the first movie, so the gulf in quality between the two was even more pronounced. I really have no idea what the Wachowski's were thinking with those sequels. I don't think they know either.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    To answer the question posed in your subject…yes.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

3. Collapse Details
    i remember being entertained by it in the theater, but when i rewatched in on DVD a few years later... yikes.

4. Collapse Details
    pretend only the first matrix exists, it's the only way to protect your sanity
    C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
    www.DarrenLevine.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Yeah it was bad. I was shaking my head through the whole experience. In my mind.... it never happened.

6. Collapse Details
    While I agree with what's been said so far... that freeway chase is a pretty incredible. I still hold my breath when Trinity turns the motorcycle around and goes against traffic.

7. Collapse Details
    +1 to Stephen. Yes, it was always that horribly unwatchable.

The only way to view the Matrix is as a standalone, one-and-done. The sequels do not exist. They are worse than the Star Wars prequels.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    They are worse than the Star Wars prequels.
    Neither of them are worse than The Phantom Menace. The Matrix sequels at the very least don't have atrocious child acting and Jar Jar Binks. A case can be made that Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are marginally superior, though. But thinking of all five of these movies at the same time is making me sad.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

9. Collapse Details
    I remember almost nothing about Matrix 2 & 3 and am happy not to. But it seems to me they had a similar problem to the Star Wars prequels -- they were telling backstory that in itself had no backstory.

What that means is the reason you have a backstory is to create a fuller world from which you can draw your story. It feels more real because you, the audience, understand that there is this fuller world out there and what you're seeing is only part of it . . . just like real life.

But if you're telling the backstory, it almost always feels paper-thin, because it IS. You don't have anything deeper than that going on.

Plus, you often find out that the backstory is kinda stupid, and you were better off not knowing more than a glimpse.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

10. Collapse Details
    The problem with the Matrix sequels, beyond all the horror of them, is that you cannot do a sequel to something that ends as The Matrix did. At the end of the first one, he "believes" -- and he masters the universe of The Matrix. He can see through it. He can manipulate it. He can control it. He's capable of anything. He can dissolve and shred agents, because he has defeated the very nature of The Matrix. He can make The Matrix no longer exist.

He asked "So I can dodge bullets?" and Morpheus tells him "You won't have to." And he was right. And Neo knows this now, at the end, and he discards the agents' bullets as meaningless. He's won.

So in the second one... he's right back to fighting agents. Fistfights and punching. It makes no sense, and totally invalidates the accomplishments of the first one. It's like Highlander II, where they went in and rejected the premise of the first one. How do you have a sequel to a film in which "there can be only one?" You can't. It doesn't work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast