Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Creepy is almost always better than the 'jump out' scares that most filmmakers are ready for. But creepy is harder to pull off.

I really enjoyed The Conjuring. But it didn't scare me. Made me jump once, and that was mostly due to a very loud sound cue, but it didn't leave me with the feeling that lingers afterwards from seeing something really intense/scary.

I really enjoyed it though. If you could pull that kind of movie off, you would clean up.
    I agree with this, and I think it's what makes me so particular in my choices of horror films that I'll watch. I'm a big fan of the genre, but almost moreso as an idea than as it is in reality, largely because I'm so often disappointed by horror films. It's not that I don't get scared, I do -- I slept with the lights on for two nights after seeing Paranormal Activity in theaters (I didn't grow up watching horror, and have a very active imagination <grin>). But what bugs me is when the "bag of tricks" I've been talking about are used for a cheap thrill instead of a lasting suspense, or "creepiness," as you call it. And that's kind of what I'm trying to keep myself from doing in my entry for DVXfest.

I liked The Conjuring, but thought it tried just a little too hard to be scary sometimes. The most unsettling (and therefore best) part of the film was when the little girl was staring at the thing she saw behind the door. Or when the mother realized that the clap she'd heard from inside the wardrobe didn't come from her daughter.

My favorite horror film, by far, is a little Finnish horror film called Sauna. The reason I love it so much is because it's not only creepy, and unsettling, but it's just a really well-built drama set in the bones of a horror film. And it works on both levels.

-EMB
    "Trying to make a movie in Hollywood is like trying to grill a steak by having a succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it." - Douglas Adams

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Anthony Horrigan View Post
    Creepy is almost always better than the 'jump out' scares that most filmmakers are ready for. But creepy is harder to pull off.
    Completely agree but a good scare punchline that really makes me jump added to creepy, hard to pull off - worth the effort.

Speaking of, MAH are we going to see an entry from you?
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

3. Collapse Details
    the underrated omen series 1-3 from the 70's captured a devilish series of deaths
    i've never quite seen mimicked with such intensity.

whenever anyone dies, you get the following:

1. a tension building scene that last a few minutes
    2. amazing horrific music
    3. an innocent character is set up to be killed, and is killed
    4. the kills / deaths themselves are well done and pretty original
    5. usually a nice mix of creepy / scary / horrific all rolled into one

i watch the trilogy once every few years.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

4. Collapse Details
    Personally as a kid who has been making horror movies for along time. I love using the old tricks but putting a spin on them. That could mean so many things though. Do whatever fits the story and whatever you think works. -Anthony

5. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Dude, please tell me you're making a short for HorrorFest II.

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemFilms View Post
    Personally as a kid who has been making horror movies for along time. I love using the old tricks but putting a spin on them. That could mean so many things though. Do whatever fits the story and whatever you think works. -Anthony
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

6. Collapse Details
    More Cowbell Pictures Michael Anthony Horrigan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Evans View Post
    Completely agree but a good scare punchline that really makes me jump added to creepy, hard to pull off - worth the effort.

Speaking of, MAH are we going to see an entry from you?
    Agreed.

I wish! But I really doubt I'll have the time.

I have some scripts if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM.
    Good luck to everyone who throws their proverbial hat in the ring.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Harris View Post
    the underrated omen series 1-3 from the 70's captured a devilish series of deaths
    i've never quite seen mimicked with such intensity.

whenever anyone dies, you get the following:

1. a tension building scene that last a few minutes
    2. amazing horrific music
    3. an innocent character is set up to be killed, and is killed
    4. the kills / deaths themselves are well done and pretty original
    5. usually a nice mix of creepy / scary / horrific all rolled into one

i watch the trilogy once every few years.
    I'll definitely have to watch those sometime soon. Is the 2006 remake any good, comparatively?

I just watched Ringu on demand last night; had never seen it before. Pretty interesting, because there were almost no scares, but plenty of tension-building and creepiness. Kinda felt it lacked a little luster in the ending, but overall a decent J-horror flick.

Movieplex has the original Amityville Horror for free, too, so I'll probably check that out sometime this weekend.

-EMB
    "Trying to make a movie in Hollywood is like trying to grill a steak by having a succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it." - Douglas Adams

8. Collapse Details
    I thought the build-up in this was amazing, not so much the actual reveal at the end.

https://vimeo.com/82920243

9. Collapse Details
    Agreed, that was great!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

10. Collapse Details
    You can use all the old tricks well with or without subverting them. The audience might see it coming but you decide when it happens or if it does at all. The sense of what's coming is the most powerful source of tension horror has. Without it you have only surprise which is fleeting. The 'two agents backing into each other around a corner' scare you see a mile off but the longer it takes to deliver the higher the anticipation. Which you can either resolve or bait and switch with a different scare.

You couldn't communicate effectively without 'and' 'its' 'the' 'that' and other such words. So to with the horror tropes. As long as they come naturally from the script rather than being shoehorned in, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the script is drab and derivative then its not the cliches you need to worry about. We have to care about the characters, we have to be able to judge the unlikeable ones and enjoy the order in which they are bumped off. There needs to be juxtaposition of quiet and/or funny moments to give us a rest between the tensions. And the central hook has to be original. If you have all that and the ability to carry it off then you are set. Tension comes from stakes and concept as well as technique.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast