Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Been doing a little research and watched this gem the other night.... "Act of Vengeance" (AKA Rape Squad). A classic 1970's drive-in film. True inspiration!
    Thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    Grindhouserrrific!

3. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Hmmmm… That opens an interesting debate, Z. Are grindhouse films like this true horror movies? Or are they more action-sploitation films? There are certainly elements of horror in many/most grind films, and they can be disturbing and brutal. "Cannibal Holocaust" and "I Spit On Your Grave" are also in the same mold, straddling the line between horror and pure exploitation.

"Zombi 2" (aka "Zombie") is also a grindhouse classic, but also a more traditional horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Been doing a little research and watched this gem the other night.... "Act of Vengeance" (AKA Rape Squad). A classic 1970's drive-in film. True inspiration!
    Thoughts?

Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    Hmmmm… That opens an interesting debate, Z. Are grindhouse films like this true horror movies? Or are they more action-sploitation films? There are certainly elements of horror in many/most grind films, and they can be disturbing and brutal. "Cannibal Holocaust" and "I Spit On Your Grave" are also in the same mold, straddling the line between horror and pure exploitation.

"Zombi 2" (aka "Zombie") is also a grindhouse classic, but also a more traditional horror movie.
    I think you're right...they would be exploitation...or better yet sex-ploitation films (with a little horror) that were designed for the kids at the drive-in's.
    I also watched "American Grindhouse", a documentary all about 'grindhouse' and the history of early films. I never knew there were some very racy
    films made in the early '50s before there were any laws as to content (or a rating system). Very interesting stuff....well worth a watch on Netflix if you haven't seen it.

I'm looking to get that same type of feel for my HorrorFest film...and seems to me the DVX100b is the perfect camera for the job.
    Oh...and "I Spit on Your Grave" is in my que!

5. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    I'd also check out "Sleepaway Camp." It's more of a slasher film, but it's very grind in its style, and sounds like it's right up the alley of what you're working towards.

SM

Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    I think you're right...they would be exploitation...or better yet sex-ploitation films (with a little horror) that were designed for the kids at the drive-in's.
    I also watched "American Grindhouse", a documentary all about 'grindhouse' and the history of early films. I never knew there were some very racy
    films made in the early '50s before there were any laws as to content (or a rating system). Very interesting stuff....well worth a watch on Netflix if you haven't seen it.

I'm looking to get that same type of feel for my HorrorFest film...and seems to me the DVX100b is the perfect camera for the job.
    Oh...and "I Spit on Your Grave" is in my que!
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

6. Collapse Details
    Sleepaway Camp. So Grindey

7. Collapse Details
    "Sleepaway Camp".... thanks!

8. Collapse Details
    thanks Stephen, so many posts, so much to process... this fest got awseome right off the bat.
    Matt Harris
    Director / Composer / Colorist / Motion graphics
    http://www.imdb.me/matthewrichardharris

DVXFEST ENTRIES: GLASSJAW / CABIN / CLARA / THE SOLUTION / LAKE WICWAS / BACKFIRE
    BOUNTY ON A DEAD MAN'S HEAD / VACCINE / NO HORIZON / THE BOATSHED / CLEAR SPACE

9. Collapse Details
    Love today's post, Stephen. Manna from hell!

10. Collapse Details
    And, I believe we should all call you Professor from now on. ;-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast