Thread: Arabella

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    Congrats! Great work on this film! My favorite of the fest!
    Much appreciated Brandon, thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton View Post
    Good job Matthew B! Was impressed with the film
    Thanks Elton.

3. Collapse Details
    Congrats on the fest results!

I made a quick VFX reel for Arabella you can watch it here: https://vimeo.com/80051177

Note: the soundtrack is all my fault, I didn't have any sound elements from the film and kind of wanted to see what Premiere CC was like for workflow with Acid (the soundtrack is some loops). Can't say I'm happy about what I made (it's lame) nor how poorly it fit into Premiere.
    Matt Sorrels

4. Collapse Details
    ARABELLA

Arabella was simple – straight forward – creepy entertainment. Very reminiscent of the campy entries (that comprised of many entries in my favourite dvxfests, (Twilightfest!)

It's cute and a little over the top (which is often necessary in such a short film!) We have evil singing dolls – glowing eyes etc – the works!

With films like this feedback more drifts towards (the somewhat tedious technical direction.)

So I'll race through... yada yada...

Cinematogrpahy – attractive and retro – invoking 80s horror imo. Loved the lighting on the bedroom – well done there. Simple effective low keySound? Watch you're levels and sfx bro – especially with the singing doll. Too boomy. Don't forget sound is more important than the visuals!

The girl was good but she was perhaps a little too old, perhaps not dressed in the manner that immediately invokes little girl (shorty shorts made her look older than a child that might play with dolls like this imo.)

Acting was a bit stiff for the parents – sure they did okay you know? But in terms of the CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE a bit of gloss to that might have added to the sense of authenticity to the story. The way it is right now, it lends the film towards a more meta/externalised perspective as if... we know the filmmaker is in on this campy slightly humoured tale which works too of course.

A more sober/ natural acting style, along with a more sophisticated sound design, along with the same cinematography would have yielded a surprisingly effective film for the simplicity of it's premise! As it stands I enjoyed it! It got the fundamentals right, albeit in a slightly rough package!
    Last edited by lawriejaffa; 12-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Feature: LORD OF TEARS - A New Legend in Horror - Pre-Order Now http://www.lordoftears.com/

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910