1. Collapse Details
    WHAT?!? Hyperdeck Shuttle can get 10 bit 4:2:2 ProRes out of the HPX170 !?
    Cool
    If so... this is HUGE!! 10 bit is HOT! I always watch the uncompressed 10 bit image on my Marshall Field Monitor, and the 8 bit DVCPRO HD I use for editing can't compare! 4:2:2 10 bit ProRes?!? Not bad for a 5 year old camera...!

2. Collapse Details
    It's not what you think. The HPX170, just like every other camera of its generation and just like almost every camera in its price bracket, cannot output a true 10 bits. There are very, very few cameras under $10,000 that output 10 bits. Not even the FS700 outputs 10 bits.

The HPX170 outputs 8 bits worth of data, wrapped in a 10-bit word. The shuttle will record exactly what the camera outputs.

Will the shuttle's recordings be higher quality than the camera's onboard recording? Perhaps a little, but I wouldn't expect there to be a significant difference. The chips can deliver about 1440x810 worth of detail, and the DVCPRO-HD codec records 1280x1080, so there may be a little bit of detail that's lost in the recording that you'd be able to hold onto with the shuttle. But again, I wouldn't expect it to be significant.

If you're watching the uncompressed feed on your field monitor, be aware that that feed you're watching is 8-bit.