Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nikon D7100 vs Panasonic gh2 sharpness
    So I have a little time now and been investigating a bit more the video capability of my newly acquired D7100 (Nikon photo shooter) vs my Panasonic gh2. I made a series at different sharpness setting in camera, I will upload them a little latter when I have finish uploading some work. Meanwhile lets do a little blind test, because I was surprised how close they looked. I use the same Tamron 17-50 at 50mm on both of them.

I put this link in case DVXUSER resize the images

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159913...eat=directlink

sharp 1.jpgsharp 2.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    So no one has a clue I tried to match them, in fact I color corrected the Nikon (not sharpness) one and so it might have degraded the image a bit. So don't look too mutch at the exposure or the latitude of the scene

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry. You are not supposed to in any manner tamper with any image in a side-by-side test. You wasted your time.
    "We are approaching the point where the cost of the camera vs. the quality of the return negates the worthiness of investing in a $40K system. Further, what people want is ease of use.
    ----Clayton Burkhart.
    "I honestly can't tell the difference between any of this footage anymore. Now the motion is different. Maybe that's why I like the Alexa, it moves like film."

4. Collapse Details
    Daniel,

I Say No.1 "GH2" and No.2 "D7100". I believe the second photo is the Nikon D7100 because of the slightly shallower depth of field and for the compression between the foreground and background.
    Last edited by bleach551; 07-11-2013 at 10:16 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    I think it's a great test and far from a waste of time. The point being that the image quality gain with the new Nikon sensors, while great on paper, makes very little or no difference for 1080 web distribution. I think the GH2 image (sharp 2.png) is sharper than the D7100 image (sharp 1.png).

In the end of the day my new G6 is a much better handling camera with all it's feature for video than my T3i with Magic Lantern, which is orders of magnitude easier to handle than a D7100. Story, light, composition and editing are so much more important than the tiny difference in sensor performance, that I'll take the convenience the G6 or even a Gh2 any day over the D7100.

If you count stills it completely changes the equation though

Cheers,
    Pete

6. Collapse Details
    I think #2 looks sharper and has a slightly longer focal length, but #1 has more latitude. So my guess is #1i s D7100, #2 is GH2.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    Sorry. You are not supposed to in any manner tamper with any image in a side-by-side test. You wasted your time.
    I will put the original files on-line shortly. The aim of this test is just sharpness, I did not in anyway sharpen the d7100 image. I just put them closer in terms of contrast and colour because they can play a big role in the sense of sharpness. I worked on the D7100 file because I did not want anyone to think that I was bias toward the D7100.

8. Collapse Details
    Do anyone want to chime in before I give the answer. No one want to commit themselves This is a good sign for the D7100 them.

9. Collapse Details
    I am travelling and I can only watch the images on my smart phone but I'd say pic 1 is the gh2

10. Collapse Details
    I think sharp 1 is D7100. Better DR and when I look the dog I think I see the quality of this toshiba sensor to render on the same picture perfect saturated colors and pastel hues (dog's red tie and dog's hair)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast