Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    If you don't need more than one or two tracks, the HD-P2, DR-100 would be better IMO. The 680 is rather big and clunky for a OMB operation, with many hardware buttons and switches as well as a lot of software menu options. As mmzgully stated the internal batteries don't last very long either .. especially w/ Phantom Powered mics.
    That DR-100 does look more like what I'm familiar with using. Although, that HD-P2 does look pretty nice. As long as the quality is at least as good with what I was getting with the H4, and it sounds like the Tascam brand recorders have a better quality in general. Even with a more expensive recorder, I'll still use just one mic input at a time. My crews are typically really small, with less than 10 people on set, and I normally have one boom operator and someone else using the recorder to monitor levels.

Quote Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
    Agreed that the 50 and 416 are very different microphones. The 416 is a very old design and the 50 is a state-of-the-art symmetrical capsule microphone.

I would not say that the 50 is an "indoor" mic. as it works superbly outdoors in all weather conditions (just like the 416), but the polar-pattern is different which may affect the suitability for a specific use.

Though nowadays I would get a 60 or 8060 instead of a 416 if I were buying new.
    Even though you mentioned that the 50 is not an indoor mic, I should notice a difference using the 50 indoors instead of the 416, right? I've been using my 416 for a few years now, and I'm not really looking to replace it; I'm looking for something that is at least as good in quality as the 416, but is better suited for indoor locations.
    Last edited by kennethhurd; 07-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Owning both the dr100 and dr680, I would highly recommend the 680 if you can afford it. I like both recorders for different reasons, but the preamps and capability of the 680 is superior. Yes you will want to have external power for the 680, I use a Tekkeon, which are reasonably priced.

3. Collapse Details
    I've decided to go with either the DR680 or the HDP2. I found some comparisons between the H4n, DR100, and the DR680, and while I could notice a difference between the DR100 (which sounded better) and the H4n, neither one even came close to the sound quality on the 680.

Now, I just need to decide between the DR680 and the HDP2. Either one, 99% of the time I will be running a single mic to the device to record location audio. While shooting interiors, I will have the recorder plugged into an AC outlet, so power inside won't be an issue. For exterior scenes, I will have to run batteries or a power supply, and I'll have to put the recorder in a porta-brace. After recording, I'll want to be able to just transfer the files from the card onto the computer for syncing up in Final Cut, the same way I have been doing it with my old H4. So, having said that, would I lose anything by saving the money and going with the DR680 over the HDP2? While I haven't had an occasion to really need more mics on a single setup, at least the DR680 would have that option if I ever needed it. Timecode for audio has never been an issue for me. Most of the film crews I've worked with have been using either a H4 or a H4n on shoots, and if they didn't have one we ended up using mine, and we just sync the audio to the video clips in post by slating the shots beforehand.

4. Collapse Details
    I think the biggest diference is the HDP2 is more suited to bag work. The 680 is a little more awkward to use (menues and such) if it's sitting in a bag, where the HDP2 everything you need to get to is right there.

If your on a cart and can use two hands and have easy access to the top then probably not a big operational difference.

For me for FX work I would probably lean to the 680 because the odds of me wanting the extra channels is a lot greater than the need for TC. But for production work I would probably lean to the HDP2, because of the over the shoulder friendliness and the TC, which I don't use but might get a request for. The exception would be if I were doing cart work. If your bot over the shoulder then the weight of extra batteries and the menus are not a big deal and the extra channels again start to look good.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12