Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Review and Grabs: Metabones Speedbooster Nikon F to M4/3 on AF100
    Just received the Metabones SpeedBooster adapter for my Nikkor lenses today, and thought I would do a brief write-up of my first impressions and post some grabs. I have the AF100 and a GH2, and also own a few Nikkor lenses- hence why I bought it. However the grabs below are from the AF100.

Packed very well, with very thick foam padding around the adapter. Has some heft to it- and feels fairly well made, however this is a first impression and only time will tell with more use. The built in aperture ring is a nice feature, and gives more control over the iris, but I prefer a clickless aperture. I can understand why MB chose to use clicks- it gives finer control (there are 16 positions vs. the 8 that are on the lens itself) and it's repeatable. However I prefer the way my MTF adapter works: if you want repeatable/clicked iris positions- use the one on the lens. If you want a smooth clickless aperture- use the one on the adapter. You get both. Not a deal breaker though.

The removable tripod collar- nice addition, however it's useless on the AF100 as you cannot attach the adapter to the AF with the collar on. It has to be removed before it will fit on the camera. Not too good if you have some heavy glass and want the extra support. You will have to go with some other lens support options if this is the case. I luckily don't have any heavy telephotos.

This adapter fits on the AF100 TIGHT. Let me just say this again: T.I.G.H.T- a little too tight for my taste actually. Luckily it doesn't seem to interfere with the AF100's lens contacts, but I was nervous there for a bit. My MTF adapter has a nice secure and snug fit- and removing it is easy. The Metabones however, well getting it on and off take some force. And it's more difficult as the adapter is narrow- so there's not much to grab on to. I guess the plus side to this is that when you attach your Nikon mount lens- it feels VERY secure, as if it's attached to the camera natively. There is definitely no slop here. And no light leaks, as I checked by first putting the lens cap on and then shining a brigh flashlight all around where the adapter meets the lens. I could find no leakage.

As far as image performance goes- well I'm still evaluating that. It's only been a few hours, but so far so good. Sharpenss seems to be the same. But I can tell you I LOVE that with this adapter I'm getting closer to what the original FOV is on the lens. Now that each lens is a bit wider- my 28mm "looks" more like what I remember it's supposed to. The m4/3 crop factor is now not so much of an issue with my old Nikkor primes. And of course the extra stop of light never hurts!! All in all pretty happy- but I would perfer that they remove the lens collar option and go with a clickless iris ring. I think these two adjustments would bring the price down. I don't own heavy glass, but if I did I could go with other lens support options.

Construction materials seem solid, although not as nice as the MTF- the Metabones looks to be CNC milled aluminum that's powder coated. My MTF was anodized stainless steel. The Speedbooster doesn't show up fingerprints, and the text seems to be laser etched and not simply printed on, which is nice. The mount sides are plated brass.

Thanks for reading

Below are stills taken on the camera. The 1st and 3rd are with the Speedbooster, the 2nd and 4th are using a standard Nikon to m4/3 adapter. Very un-scientific of course, but I did try to keep everything the same for each shot. They are a bit underexposed, but this was done to make the f/stop differences more obvious. As you can see, f/5.6 using the Speedbooster is a bright as f/4 on the regular adapter- NICE!!

Nikkor 28mm via MBSB- iris on lens set to f/4

Nikkor 28mm via standard adapter- iris on lens set to f/4

Nikkor 28mm via MBSB- iris on lens set to f/5.6

Nikkor 28mm via standard adaptor- iris on lens set to f/5.6

here are links to the original photos (for full screen viewing). Same order as above:
    http://www.edwardkishel.com/wp-conte...7/S1000009.jpg
    http://www.edwardkishel.com/wp-conte...7/S1000012.jpg
    http://www.edwardkishel.com/wp-conte...7/S1000010.jpg
    http://www.edwardkishel.com/wp-conte...7/S1000011.jpg
    Last edited by Ed Kishel; 07-08-2013 at 09:09 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    That'll do. Two, please...

Don't suppose you have any dx lenses to try out, by chance?

3. Collapse Details
    Was something supposed to have a wider FOV here?
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

4. Collapse Details
    Looks like they were all with a 28mm prime, at 4 and 5.6, with and without the sb

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Yes, and the first one is wider than the second, and the third is wider than the fourth.

6. Collapse Details
    Apart from no FOV difference... I cant even see his claim regarding exposure "brightness".

2 & 4 are darker than 1 & 3 and as I would expect considering they are stopped down 1 stop.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    Yes, the 28mm using the MB adapter results in a wider FOV than using just a regular m4/3 adapter. Remember, these grabs are not all from the MBSB- the 2nd and 3rd are using a regular m4/3 adapter with no optical element.
    Last edited by Ed Kishel; 07-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    here is a split screen that makes it easier to see. And yes they are all from the same 28mm lens.

To my eye (and to my waveform monitor's) there is 1stop difference when the lens is set (and kept) at f/4- and then used with and without the optical reducer element found in the SB. That's why when using the MBSB, setting the lens to f5/6 is as bright as f/4 with the regular adapter. It's just one stop so it's not a night and day difference- but it helps.

full frame link:
    http://www.edwardkishel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/SB-Splitscreen.jpg

Last edited by Ed Kishel; 07-08-2013 at 11:55 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    That'll do. Two, please...

Don't suppose you have any dx lenses to try out, by chance?
    Sorry, don't own any.

10. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Fabulous. Though great pity you don't have any dx lenses, because I have my eye on the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom in a Nikon mount... but unfortunately it's a dx... would've been nice to see if you gain anything on a dx, given the size disparity between aps-c and m4/3. I'll take a f/1.4 for $800, Alex!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast