1. Collapse Details
    F3: S-Log/RGB/no ext recorder: monitor LUT but not baked into the internal file?
    Hi All,

I am a relative newbie to the F3 so forgive me if this seems simple. I have done some research and posted what I know right now.

I have a Sony F3 firmware 1.4 with the S-Log and RGB options added into it. However, at the present time I DO NOT have an external recorder (looking into the Samurai Blade and the Gemini 4:4:4, as well as the Shuttle 2). So, all internal recording.

I am using a Picture Profile with a Gamma setting set to SLog.

What I would like to so is give the Director a monitor (HDMI only monitor, no SDI) with LUT turned on (709 (800%)) while not baking that into the internal file. Is that possible without an external recorder? With the below settings it seems like the LUT is either going to be baked into both or turned off in both depending on how I change the S-Log LUT option:
    (1) SDI/HDMI/i.LINK I/O Select set to HD HDMI (at least for now)
    (2) SDI/HDMI Out Display set to Off
    (3) Video Out Display set to On or Off (not sure what this does yet)
    (4) Dual Link... set to 1.%G RGB444 & S-Log (at least one option that worked)
    (5) S-Log LUT set to On
    (6) S-Log LUT Select set to P1: 709 (800%)
    (7) S-Log EI Mode set to Off or On and S-Log EI Select adjusted accordingly.
    Thanks!

Paul

2. Collapse Details
    By the way, I have setup the Assign 5 button to turn on and off the LUT. But it turns it on and off on both the internal and external monitor. It helps, but that's not the solution I am hoping for.

3. Collapse Details
    One of the benefits of the paid S-Log upgrade is that it allows for use of a LUT with recording the native S-Log to an external recorder. I do not believe that with 1.4 Ver alone you can record the S-Log and also get a LUT output simultaneously.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lasikdenver View Post
    One of the benefits of the paid S-Log upgrade is that it allows for use of a LUT with recording the native S-Log to an external recorder. I do not believe that with 1.4 Ver alone you can record the S-Log and also get a LUT output simultaneously.
    You are correct in that... the only way you can turn the Monitor LUT on is by choosing one of the Slog options in "Dual Link'. But interestingly not ALL of the SLog options allow you to turn on the Monitor LUT. One of them does NOT. The "3G YpbPr422 & S-Log" does NOT allow you to turn on Monitor S-Log BUT you can custom white balance unlike all the other SLog "Dual Link" options. And you can still access the Picture Profiles when this 3G option is turned on so I'm not sure which one overrides, the settings in the Dual Link inhernetly or the settings in the Picture Profile. Completely opposite of all the other Dual Link S-Log options. Not only that, but it handles Slow & Quick options differently for 24p, allowing a min of 17 to a max of 60 where the others only allow 17 to 30.

5. Collapse Details
    Clarification: 1280 @24p. 1920 @24p only allows the usual 17-30.