Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lens recommendations
    I've owned an AF100 (101 here) for a few months now and have got limited lens options so far, so I'm wondering what might be best to go for next. My kit is mainly to be used for documentary style shooting and events, so a zoom lens that covers the wide end is what I'm really wanting.

I bought the Voigtlander 25mm because everyone raved about it, and it's great, and I already had a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 so bought the MTF Nikon adapter to use those (yes, it nearly cost as much as the value of those lenses). Knowing that I'm probably not going to own the AF probably not for more than a few years, I'm trying to future proof myself a little bit. I think the Voigtlander will hold its value pretty steady so I didn't mind buying it but I'm not exactly sure what to go for next. I had hoped the metabones adapter was going to be available sooner, and I probably would have bought a Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 and used that as my main lens. Now I'm swaying more towards the native Panasonic 12-35 and accepting that I'll have to try and flog it at some point but I'm not really sure how it stacks up. At least with the Nikon I'd be able to use it on a stills camera and on larger sensor cameras later if I wanted. It's a pretty timeless piece of glass.

2. Collapse Details
    Lumix 12-35 is a great little lens. I've had one for a couple months now and am VERY pleased with it. Selling it when you're done with the camera shouldn't be a problem as it's quite popular with the still photography crowd as well. It's fast, and wide enough for most anything. A great lens for hand-held work in my opinion.

3. Collapse Details
    I picked up AF100A a couple months ago the Lumix 14-140 is good but I'm looking at the Rokinon 85mm T1.4 Cine lens and the 35mm T 1.4. at a coast of $329.00 and $549.00 ( B& H) It's a real good by for the quality of the lenses. been on youtube and I'm real impressed with the videos. check'em out.

4. Collapse Details
    The Rokinons are great lenses and when the 50mm comes out a nice set can be had for such a bargain. However primes are great but if you need to do handheld faster paced stuff the Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 is all you need. I have both and love them! Yes they are expensive but it turns the AF-100 into a weapon!

5. Collapse Details
    What Erik said.

Those two X zooms are my main lenses for documentary.

6. Collapse Details
    +1 on the Rokinon Cine Lenses. We had to replace our glass when it was stolen and bought the 24mm, 35mm, and 85mm Rokinon Cine versions. The build quality of the lenses is great, and having the built in lens gears and 'de-clicked' aperture are amazing.

I had the Voigtlander 25mm before it was stolen, and I have to admit that's a great lens. For now I'll be using the Rokinon 24mm, but I'll probably eventually get the Voigtlander 25mm and the 17.5 when I have money and can find a good deal.

I would highly recommend the SLR Magic 12mm w/ Lens Gear. That's a great lens, also declicked aperture, and I have the version with the Lens gear ring permanently attached.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, since the Metabones SB is available now, a Nikkor "17-50/2" does have a nice ring to it...

8. Collapse Details
    I have nikon mount 17-50 and 50-150 which gives me good coverage, but I've found my sweet spot would be a 24-70.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    The Rokinons are great lenses and when the 50mm comes out a nice set can be had for such a bargain. However primes are great but if you need to do handheld faster paced stuff the Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 is all you need. I have both and love them! Yes they are expensive but it turns the AF-100 into a weapon!
    Erik, what did you use for your slider accessory on your Bryce video on Vimeo? https://vimeo.com/28595003 It was making your point, its a weapon!
    Pro Video Since 1996 - Serving Eastern Idaho and Beyond - Teton Video Services (208) 528-2327

10. Collapse Details
    shameless plug but as mcbob mentioned the speedbooster with Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 gives you many nice options and covers a good range when used with normal adaptor too. Have one for sale here......

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...-lens-UK-based

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast