Thread: Prisoners

1. Collapse Details
    Prisoners
    Great cast, from the director of Incendies and cinematography by Deakins. Trailer:

http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

2. Collapse Details
    Shot an hour away from me...the schedule of this movie is insane. They shot it in like Feb-Mar and it comes out in Sept.

3. Collapse Details
    Shot just around the corner from me. Glad to see it looks great. I'll see anything shot by Deakins.
    Follow me on Twitter: @jg_henderson

4. Collapse Details
    F--k me, this was good. One of the few films this whole year that I haven't had to work at convincing myself to ignore flaws and try to like it (looking at you, Elysium, ST:ID, Riddick, MoS (dear god that movie was awful on second viewing)).

Every shot in this film is a masterclass in cinematography, and HUGE props (heh, get it?) to Patrice Vermette for the production design. This film really brings to the forefront how much a dedicated art department can influence a film's look with a strong color palette.

Acting, top notch. Jackman was fantastic as a fragile stone of a man, and Paul Dano was great - reminded me of how good he was in TWBB. Direction was spot on; editing flawless. I was kind of nervous about Guzikowski's script, going in, partly because he wrote Contraband (meh), and partly because I knew the film had been in development hell forever, but I was delighted to see subtlety, and diversity between the characters, and Guzikowski kept a firm hand, but a gentle touch on topics so often prone to heavy-handedness.

Couldn't recommend a film more.

-EMB

EDIT: Forgot to mention Terrence Howard, who shone in his role. Why is this guy not getting all of the roles?! Everything I've seen him in this year, he's been great (even Dead Man Down).
    Last edited by Eric Boellner; 09-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    "Trying to make a movie in Hollywood is like trying to grill a steak by having a succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it." - Douglas Adams

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Boellner View Post
    EDIT: Forgot to mention Terrence Howard, who shone in his role. Why is this guy not getting all of the roles?! Everything I've seen him in this year, he's been great (even Dead Man Down).

He hit his wife a little while back, Hollywood didn't take too kindly to it. It's the reason he was replaced by Don Cheadle in the Iron Man series. He really is a fantastic actor though, his role in Hustle and Flow remains one of the most exciting performances in the past decade.
    Follow me on Twitter: @jg_henderson

6. Collapse Details
    Great movie. Really thought the parents of the kidnapped girls reacted in a plausible way.

These darker crime movies are way too few and far between.

4/5 ish

7. Collapse Details
    I loved this movie.

The performances were great and the pacing was pretty damn good, despite its length.

And the ending, perfect. I'll be picking this one up for sure.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place