Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Morgan, I notice you shoot a lot of tilt. what is your rule or guidelines for when/where? And same with the BG blow-out stuff. That's an art form I just don't have a handle on.

2. Collapse Details
    DSC_4962-2.jpg

Working with one of the best SFX artists on an impromptu shoot......... this shoot was more about documenting the process but this one came out okay....... No blood on the costumes and car.....but not an option. But I got free creative control on my shots.
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 06-06-2013 at 10:21 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bernard View Post
    Morgan, I notice you shoot a lot of tilt. what is your rule or guidelines for when/where? And same with the BG blow-out stuff. That's an art form I just don't have a handle on.
    Strange - overall I very rarely go dutch - so I suppose when it feels right. Blowing - dont it since shooting B+W film - I think it is only frowned upon by video people due the the crap cameras they have historicaly shot on. the alexa apparently blows well.

Your pic - dont like it - but whatever floats your boat - I think if you want to recreate Weegee et al you need more DOF - F16/11 and a harsher flash if you have one or can remove the modifier in any way - also think about the flash position up and to the left

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Strange - overall I very rarely go dutch - so I suppose when it feels right. Blowing - dont it since shooting B+W film - I think it is only frowned upon by video people due the the crap cameras they have historicaly shot on. the alexa apparently blows well.

Your pic - dont like it - but whatever floats your boat - I think if you want to recreate Weegee et al you need more DOF - F16/11 and a harsher flash if you have one or can remove the modifier in any way - also think about the flash position up and to the left
    Yeah, for some reason, the 'color' just doesn't seem to match... but here's a non-crime WeeGee... ok, maybe it's a 'crime' in the making...

It does have a bit of grain, but the 'flash' zone is there...

This shot is interesting, beyond the amorous sailor's 'movie appreciation'... there's the guy on the top left, who is looking at the couple, more than the screen, and there's a guy sleeping, probably snoring... in the back row just behind the couple... Ah, I remember these sort so theaters well...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bernard View Post
    DSC_4962-2.jpg

Working with one of the best SFX artists on an impromptu shoot......... this shoot was more about documenting the process but this one came out okay....... No blood on the costumes and car.....but not an option. But I got free creative control on my shots.
    You may consider some of the '3-D' tools in photoshop to create some blood splatter on the car and clothing, as well as more 'holes' of the apparent gun shots...

I've not experimented with the latest 3-D PS stuff as yet... since I've been more inclined to 'moving pictures'... so, I can't really say how well PS works on this sort of thing.

6. Collapse Details
    LOL, strange you suggest that......discussing with the MUA that very thing........

The flash positioning, yeah, not happy either......I want to get a tether/extension for my flash unit so I can be more flexible in positioning. But until then, I either shoot natural light or it lives above the camera.
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 06-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    OK. One a Day for you guys. Here's Three Mile Isl. Prior to the accident.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We are approaching the point where the cost of the camera vs. the quality of the return negates the worthiness of investing in a $40K system. Further, what people want is ease of use.
    ----Clayton Burkhart.
    "I honestly can't tell the difference between any of this footage anymore. Now the motion is different. Maybe that's why I like the Alexa, it moves like film."

8. Collapse Details
    What was your motivation for the shot? There is an interesting simplicity to it that I like. Grainy, older color palette.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Three Mile Island From Three Miles Away.
    I was actually shooting some guys flyfishing for Steelhead on Lake Ontario, when I spotted the smoke stacks far away. All I had at the time was my Nikon FM2 and a 300mm f4 . The quality of the image was going to be very lyrical thanks to the grain in the film. It's as spooky as an Nuke Powerplant is likely to be.
    "We are approaching the point where the cost of the camera vs. the quality of the return negates the worthiness of investing in a $40K system. Further, what people want is ease of use.
    ----Clayton Burkhart.
    "I honestly can't tell the difference between any of this footage anymore. Now the motion is different. Maybe that's why I like the Alexa, it moves like film."

10. Collapse Details
    HAWAII_pano.jpg
    Hawaiian Shirt - An abstract
    ----Clayton Burkhart.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast