1. Collapse Details
    OIS and metering issues
    I'm having an issue with the camera that's been frustrating to say the least, I film a lot of aviation related stuff and I'm having an issue where that OIS causes the image to skip at random times which is killing my shots, especially if I want to run the file thru the Mercalli stabilization program. I haven't really seen any action type shots with this camera system other than mine so I知 hoping that it痴 an isolated issue that can be fixed. Also, I知 having an issue with the metering of the shots where the whole image will go very dark trying to compensate for a shiny object, I知 not sure how to adjust this without messing my settings.
    I知 using the Barry Green scene file 釘lue and I run mostly in auto mode due to the run and gun stuff I film.
    Here is a short clip showing some of what I知 talking about.
    https://vimeo.com/66600067
    Jason

2. Collapse Details
    Jason,

I'm presuming that this is a general fault ("feature") with the OIS.

I've had the same thing when operating handheld with an occasional "twitch" of the picture. And it's not during pans or other camera movement, it's after the camera has stopped moving for a couple of seconds, as if the OIS is catching up. It's happened literally one or two times in three months, but enough to make the shot look poor.

I think the OIS is the one true disappointment about these cameras. I presume there's a good scientific reason why the large, heavy camera with lots of quality glass can't have good OIS, but it really is pretty weak. Hence my need for a shoulder rig for the first time ever.

Re. the metering issue. I presume this is some sort of auto setting. I always expose manually, I'd never trust any auto exposure (or focus) system on any shot that was important. I know that you know that already and it's not what you want to hear!
    Last edited by Mike Beckett; 05-21-2013 at 01:15 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    If you do a long pan, the OIS is trying to fight the panning movement. Once it runs out of room to travel, it skips. Solution: put the camera on a good fluid-head tripod and switch OIS off.

The exposure changes are due to auto iris being activated along with everything else in auto mode. You'll have to run it manually for consistent exposure.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry for the late reply, thanks for answering the questions. It's just frustrating going from the XL1 with everything working perfect.....just not HD, to all the little pains in the arse with this one.
    Jason

5. Collapse Details
    I own the 130 and yes, it is the OIS compensating for panning at a fast speed. I shut mine off and there was no skipping which first confused me as drop frames. If it is any consolation, I also own the Canon XA 20. This camera is a 20X zoom camera. I have terrible vignetting when doing an air show in contrasting areas such as the planes against clouds and blue sky. The edges become dark. This is related to the 5 axis OIS as well. When turned off , no issues.

My best and humble advice with our Panny camera is to invest in a shoulder mount and shut off the OIS. I did this and all is well as long as one bends at the knee for fast pans and one keeps their elbows close o the side of the body.
    Panasonic AG AC-130, Sony FDR-AX-100 4K,
    (Formely the Canon Xf-100 XF-300) SONY CX-150 GoPro HD-2 and Canon Hf S30.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, I have similar OIS issue. I'm sure it is due to the big lens glass. The mass for quick acting is to big, possibly... I use the OIS only in special cases. Normally I use at least a monopod to stabilize the AC130. It's a very good cam and I think the 22fold lens is a bit better than the Canon one, because even with OIS on, I can see no vignetting.
    The only big backdraw I have with this cam ist, Panasonic does NOT offer a 50p (or for US 60p) upgrade! I'm willing to pay the same amount as it is for the AF101...
    But still hoping...