See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nice find Andrew.

One cautionary note before people rush to buy one, is that the solution Tom Antos is showing is for light cameras used on helicopters. They rate it for a maximum weight of 1.2 pounds (550 grams). So it may not be a solution that will work for everyone.

2. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Pre-orders for the Defy G2 are now online…
    http://defygimbal.com/#blog

And for $2,300, this seems like it has real potential for pure awesomeness.
    Stephen Mick
    Creative Director
    UPG Video

Check out the DVXUser Facebook page atůhttps://www.facebook.com/dvxuser
    And the DVXUser Vimeo Channel atůhttps://vimeo.com/channels/558731

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    Pre-orders for the Defy G2 are now online…
    http://defygimbal.com/#blog

And for $2,300, this seems like it has real potential for pure awesomeness.
    I'm ready to pre-order/buy that Defy G2 -- but -- I assumed on the launch day they'd release additional sample videos and details on the $1800 option they've promised in both videos and print. They did neither. All that happened was a pre-order button appeared on that one web site.

So, at this point they want me to send them $2300 based on two sample videos -- both of which have problems on a range of levels and neither of which were awe inspiring.

I'd really like this product to be amazing, and I'm seriously interested in it -- but at this point there's no way I can justify hitting that pre-order button. As a potential purchaser I need to know more -- and I need to see more. The two videos they have released at this point simply aren't enough.
    Media Production by Andrew Gupta
    http://www.andrewgupta.com/

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, I'd like more info too.

Really waiting to see their G10 (Epic/C300 size), but it looks like the G5 (DSLR) one is next.

I suppose the preorder is similar to the Movi, that was putting down $2.5K on a pre-order for a $15K product. Freefly have been quiet for a while in terms of the every growing competition... so let's see what happens.

Let the Gimbal Wars commence, LOL.

5. Collapse Details
    These things are cool, but, no FAQ, no warranty listed, no explanation of the modes or demonstration of the modes, no demonstration of the joystick, no review by a respected source. I'd want more review and answers before buying one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Nice find Andrew.

One cautionary note before people rush to buy one, is that the solution Tom Antos is showing is for light cameras used on helicopters. They rate it for a maximum weight of 1.2 pounds (550 grams). So it may not be a solution that will work for everyone.
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that what Tom Antos showed on his blog is not what is in the DEFY G2, nor is it connected to DEFY.
    I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

My hilarious twitter twocks @hotrodcameras

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gupta View Post
    I'm ready to pre-order/buy that Defy G2 -- but -- I assumed on the launch day they'd release additional sample videos and details on the $1800 option they've promised in both videos and print. They did neither. All that happened was a pre-order button appeared on that one web site.

So, at this point they want me to send them $2300 based on two sample videos -- both of which have problems on a range of levels and neither of which were awe inspiring.

I'd really like this product to be amazing, and I'm seriously interested in it -- but at this point there's no way I can justify hitting that pre-order button. As a potential purchaser I need to know more -- and I need to see more. The two videos they have released at this point simply aren't enough.
    I just stumbled across this thread, and I'm actually probably one of the only people in a place to shed some light on a number of things. As Andrew seemed to express a sentiment that was echoed by others, I'll do my best to share what I know about DEFY and this market in general.

-----

Hi Andrew,

Hot Rod Cameras has come on board with the DEFY project, and I can tell you that in the very near future there will be plenty more information and answers on-line. They are so very, very busy with DEFY G2, G5 (and G10) production. I can't blame them for being short on some details. I know details are coming and their rather large staff is swamped with work.

I visited their offices in Tempe, Arizona and got to meet most everyone on the technical team, and can explain much about what I learned.

I think it's appropriate to share the history of Relentless/DEFY. I found it fascinating as how it's all come to be. Here's what I recall from conversations with the team.

- The DEFY handheld gimbals started as an 'in-house only' tool for Relentless, Inc.
    - Relentless, Inc. is a well respected full service production company with some big commercial clients. They also have technology division which only does development of stabilized imaging platforms; including custom flying 'reconnaissance drones' for big clients.
    - The original in house DEFY handheld stabilizers were not for sale or rent, they were exclusively available on Relentless, Inc. productions.
    - When Drew, the founder of Relentless, decided that this was something he wanted to seriously pursue there was nothing available on the market, so he brought in several tech experts to help make it happen. There is now well over a dozen people working on DEFY.
    - The DEFY project goes back all the way to 2011. And involves a major amount of development work- in both time and dollars invested.
    - DEFY was not the first handheld gimbal to go public, but they have probably logged more development hours then anyone else, and likely been working towards this point far longer than any other company. It's why you'll see products shipping in coming days rather than months.
    - The DEFY G10 is a (badass) 10-pound capacity system and will become the flagship DEFY system. The G10, has been around the longest, and to my knowledge, has never been formally announced, and never been shown to anyone outside a Relentless set. Both the G5 and G2 are derived as miniature (and less expensive) versions of their big brother G10.

Most parts are custom in the DEFY family; and there's a very real and very technical "secret sauce" involved in how the whole thing works. This is the reason the DEFY system performs so well. One thing DEFY does particularly well is allow for comparatively MASSIVE tilts forward of the entire system, something most other manufacturers (I'll include the guys in their basement) don't/can't demonstrate. If you get hold of a handheld gimbal tilt the whole system forward see how far you can go before fail!

I've been trying every gimbal I can get my hands on, and as of right now my conclusion is that if someone is hoping to get into this market without 10,000 hours of development and somekind of custom/proprietary "secret sauce" their product will, frankly, suck. People/companies who really DO know what they are doing know this is not the same as bolting a gimbal on the nose of a single rotor, or the belly of a multi rotor (also a learned technical art). Highly competent folks who bring a handheld product to market are going to charge significant money, as they should. Anyone planning to wait for an equivalent ebay/Chinese import solution for a few hundred dollars are going to be very disappointed, unless they really don't know (or don't care) what it is that they receive.

I personally ran around with a prototype DEFY G2 loaded up with a Panasonic GH3 and a 14mm lens, a combination heavier than a Blackmagic Pocket or Sony NEX camera. The DEFY worked great, I'd go so far as to say all my expectations were exceeded. It will perform just as well with any lighter camera. A DEFY G2 is overkill for something like a GoPro, but it would be the sweetest kind of overkill. I have no doubt a G2 will blow away any/everything purpose built for the size/weight of a GoPro.

You don't have to take my word for any of this, HRC is going to have multiple gimbal systems in hand before the end of July, and we'll be performing demonstrations and free training at our Hollywood office.

We've been hit up by several different gimbal companies since NAB, and even more since announcing our involvement with DEFY earlier this month. We've learned there's wild variations in quality out there. Some so called 'manufacturers' who've contacted us I'm convinced are selling one flavor or another of stabilized snake oil. Some are ignorant to this fact, others I assume are not.

To this end, HRC has decided to maintain a very strict criteria for these products/companies. In short, we aren't getting involved with any company that can't cut the mustard in terms of performance, support, or delivery. Our experience with the DEFY team so far has been outstanding, I would give them the letter grade of A+. I love that they pick up the phone, or a call back right away. It's the standard for which all aspiring gimbal manufacturers will have to strive to compete.

If the past 2-months are any indication, the next 10-months will be filled with a few amazing products, and a lot of crap. Guaranteed if you watch this space it won't be boring.
    I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

My hilarious twitter twocks @hotrodcameras

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Mr. Friedman,

My genuine thanks for your thoughtful note. I very much look forward to additional information and media from the Defy team, and will very seriously evaluate a purchase.

Again, thank you for your in-depth reply.

Regards.
    Last edited by Andrew Gupta; 07-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Media Production by Andrew Gupta
    http://www.andrewgupta.com/

9. Collapse Details
    Received email from Defy stating G5 will be availble for order by the end of this month.

10. Collapse Details
    If what is stated in Illya's post does infact prove accurate, put me down as seriously interested. ESPECIALLY if it cost much less than a certain company getting lots of attention. OH WHO AM I KIDDING HERE! If it's cheaper than the darn MOVI with LaForet hype, I'm IN!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast