Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    The answer is -- it all depends on the adapter. Some will allow "full frame". Some will allow "S35". Some won't. If you use an adapter that allows "full frame", then you will get exactly the same field of view, DOF, and perspective as shown in the original picture. If you use an adapter that doesn't allow that, you won't. Only way to know is to test...

2. Collapse Details
    Understand this -- it has NOTHING to do with the HPX170. The lens will project an image onto the adapter. The HPX170 just films that projected image. So whatever image the adapter is capable of, the HPX170 will show it exactly the same way as an HMC150 would, exactly the same way as an HVX200 would, exactly the same way as an HPX250 would, exactly the same way as an HPX500 would, etc. The field of view effect you're looking for takes place between the stills-camera lens and the adapter, regardless of whether there's a camera attached or not. Heck, you could take the adapter off the camera and just look through it, and you'll see what the field of view would be, just look at the screen with a lens attached...

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for that Barry. Just got a bit confused reading some other crop factor thread where someone was upgrading from the HVX200 + Adapter to the AF100. One of the responses said that "The angle of view on the AF100 should be about 3x wider than the HVX" while someone else said on the AF100 "all your lenses now produce a narrower FOV". So what is it? Narrower? or Wider?
    And how about explaining it visually?

The circle is the entire image the lens projects onto the sensor plane. The rectangles represent two different sensor sizes, and show the amount of image they capture. The larger RED rectangle represents a full-frame (5DII) DSLR, while the BLUE rectangle represents the crop-frame (7D, T2i, AF100? ) How much narrower or wider would the HVX / HPX170 be?

4. Collapse Details
    The thing that's confusing is they said "HVX200 ** with adapter **". So it's not the HVX200's field of view that's being discussed there, it's the field of view of the 35mm adapter.

An HPX170 without any sort of adapter is going to have a "crop factor" of 7.2. Meaning, to get the same field of view as a full-frame 35mm stills camera using a 100mm lens, you'd have to use about a 14mm zoom setting on the HPX170.

The HPX170 has the equivalent of a 28mm - 364mm lens on a 35mm stills camera.

5. Collapse Details
    Im pretty sure with my redock encore, I get the same field of view as if it were a full frame cam, The ground glass is big enough to project the entire frame, So in essence, my xha1/redrock m2encore, is the same as shooting with a 5d, I think?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    Im pretty sure with my redock encore, I get the same field of view as if it were a full frame cam, The ground glass is big enough to project the entire frame, So in essence, my xha1/redrock m2encore, is the same as shooting with a 5d, I think?
    In terms of field of view, yes.

7. Collapse Details
    They still make 35mm adapters?
    Dp Reel
    http://www.joncarrdp.com/
    RED EPIC & G&E Rentals in NYC
    http://www.visualcinema.com/rentals/cameras/
    Instagram
    http://instagram.com/joncarrdp
    EPIC-X DRAGON #5359 GN​-X Schneider Xenon FF Primes PL
    It's REDcode or no code...

8. Collapse Details
    SGBlade seems to have been discontinued, but both the Letus Ultimate and the Redrock M3 are still being sold. I know a couple of very talented cameramen who still use them as well as some film schools, but hardly any rental houses offer them these days.

9. Collapse Details
    To think that not so long ago, even Film and TV productions had 35mm adapters as a viable alternative...

10. Collapse Details
    I miss the good ol' days of the big badass cams. Everything is so tiny these days, especially at the indy level...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12