Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Which cameras can the AF100 do timecode sync with?
    I've been getting more non-stop event shoots lately. Which the AF100 is great for in that it doesn't have to stop recording to change out tapes. But then of course it has many downfalls for event coverage. So I've also been using my HDV camera, a Sony V1U. Which I have really wanted to get rid of, and can still get a decent price for. But I'm tired of capturing tapes, working with crappy HDV footage, and then syncing is a problem. And having to change out tapes just seems silly after having the GH2 since early 2011, and now the AF100. I just got Plural Eyes 3, which helps. But I want to see which cameras will work as slave sync to AF100 when syncing timecode. I definitely want to stick with Panasonic, but if it will work with other manufacturers, that would be something nice to know.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Panasonic AC90. Once I sell the V1U, it would only cost me a few hundred more dollars. And the lack of ND won't be a huge concern since the AF100 will still be my primary. So will the AC90 work as a slave to the AF100? If not, does anyone just have a list of what will work? Thanks!
    Producer, director, and DP. Shooting on a Canon C100 Mark II.

Get in touch!
    // Vimeo

2. Collapse Details
    I don't have a list but I can tell you that I've done timecode jam sync with the hmc 150 and the 160 cameras, so I would think the 130 would work as well. They sync thru the composite video port.

3. Collapse Details
    Ok, that does help. I just don't want to spend more than $2k since it's only something I'll occasionally need to use. I'm thinking any of the less expensive current lines probably won't have the feature. I just saw that the AC90 has a proprietary A/V out port and cable, so I doubt that it can. So I'm going to check through the list of Panasonic cameras from Wikipedia, find pictures of the AVC cameras, and see which ones have a composite port that say "T/C in". I'm already getting confused with all of the models that they have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nic_camcorders

Ok, I'm back. I'm thinking that of the AVC cameras, it's only the HMC150, AC130, and AC160 that will work. I'm still wondering if other cameras from other manufacturers can do the same kind of TC signal. The HMC150 looks pretty reasonable in price (used). Did you like it?
    Last edited by BrandonT; 05-16-2013 at 11:07 PM.

Get in touch!
    // Vimeo

4. Collapse Details
    The AF100 can timecode sync to any camera that has a timecode output or input port. It doesn't have to be another Panasonic. It just has to have an LTC timecode in/out port. And it doesn't even have to be a camera, it could sync to a timecode generator, or a timecode slate, or any device that generates or receives a timecode signal through LTC.

The Panasonics have the ability to repurpose their video out jacks to also serve as LTC in/out, so that's why it works with them, but it will also work with any other LTC port on any camera.

5. Collapse Details
    Brandon... I use the AF100 with my HMC150 and really like the way these cameras match (IMHO). Here's a quick video I did for 10T Records.
    The HMC150 was on the crane and the AF100 was...well...all over the place!

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    The AF100 can timecode sync to any camera that has a timecode output or input port. It doesn't have to be another Panasonic. It just has to have an LTC timecode in/out port. And it doesn't even have to be a camera, it could sync to a timecode generator, or a timecode slate, or any device that generates or receives a timecode signal through LTC.

The Panasonics have the ability to repurpose their video out jacks to also serve as LTC in/out, so that's why it works with them, but it will also work with any other LTC port on any camera.

Just not for cameras that do timecode sync through Firewire, right? I think my V1U does that, but I don't think there's any way to convert the signal. I've looked and there might be a couple of products that supposedly work, but didn't look too reliable to me, and were a clunky setup. So acceptable ports would be RCA (/composite), audio ports of different types, and LANC ports, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Brandon... I use the AF100 with my HMC150 and really like the way these cameras match (IMHO). Here's a quick video I did for 10T Records.
    The HMC150 was on the crane and the AF100 was...well...all over the place!
    Nice, thank you for sharing. I agree that the two cameras matched up well together. Another reason I definitely want to stay with Panny (and AVCHD). Just match the scene files in camera and you should pretty well be good, right?

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Get in touch!
    // Vimeo

7. Collapse Details
    Most dedicated timecode ports are BNC connectors, so you would use a BNC->RCA cable for those. But you won't find many (any) low cost cameras with a BNC timecode port. I think the lowest cost cam with it is the HPX250.

The AC series can't sync via FireWire. The older DVX100 and HVX200 could, IIRC.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Barry! I think I've decided that if I'm able to get the V1U sold for a decent price, I'm going to replace it with the HMC150. Matching batteries, same workflow, timecode sync, and less than $2k all sound like a winner to me.

Get in touch!
    // Vimeo

9. Collapse Details
    I see the gh3 has timecode, will it output timecode to the af100 for jam sync?

10. Collapse Details
    No, the GH3 doesn't have timecode in/out port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast