See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: G6 vs. GH3

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    G6 vs. GH3
    Some cool footage is being posted between these two cameras...the DR of the G6 and high ISO low noise performance seems better on the G6 but the GH3 seems to have more resolution?

any thoughts on this.

2. Collapse Details
    The Gh3 should have a higher DR and noise performance over the G6. What comparisons are you looking at?

The only thing I have seen the G6 edge out the GH3 on is Moire, peaking and ETC in 60p mode. The GH3 has a bigger price tag but a lot of features the G6 doesn't. I would never go back to 28mb/s AVCHD 2.0.
    The G6 has some great features for the price don't get me wrong.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RatLabProductions View Post
    The Gh3 should have a higher DR and noise performance over the G6. What comparisons are you looking at?

The only thing I have seen the G6 edge out the GH3 on is Moire, peaking and ETC in 60p mode. The GH3 has a bigger price tag but a lot of features the G6 doesn't. I would never go back to 28mb/s AVCHD 2.0.
    The G6 has some great features for the price don't get me wrong.
    Yep GH3 should have more DR and also more useable DR.

GH3 also has less noise.

ETC mode is a nice feature, but not a big deal.

4. Collapse Details
    Actually the footage posted was between a hacked gh2 and the g6....not the gh3. The g6 cost 1/2 the gh3...and it has many features the gh3 lacks. In fact the g6 is being released with a feature set way above the released gh2, at a substantial discount. And it looks like they'll be a kit with the new 14-140 for the same price they sold the gh2 with 14-42. If you can't afford a $1300 body , then it looks like Panasonic has done us poorer folks a big favor. As far as build quality, I prefer the small light body of the g6 , which looks to be the real successor to the gh2. If a user is a journalist in the field then the gh3 is the obvious choice. If the g6 gets hacked , it will become the new bottomline standard ....at least until they get ML raw running on a rebel ...which is a possibility at least with 720! Everything else is speculation until it's released and put thru the early adopter grinder. But today it's on top of my list ....

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kurth View Post
    The g6 cost 1/2 the gh3...and it has many features the gh3 lacks.
    The GH3 has more features the G6 lacks then the other way around. I have only come across a few features the G6 has better than the GH3 and that is peaking, and ETC in 60p. Am I missing something else here? The GH3 has many features the G6 doesn't.

Both great cameras but lets keep it in perspective.
    Last edited by RatLabProductions; 05-15-2013 at 07:04 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    GH3 with 50mbps is beautiful.........

Truly amazing camera for the cost. Personally the $1300 price tag is peanuts compared to more expensive Canon Dslr's.
    There has to be a standard and honestly I want Panasonic to move forward and not back.

GH3 has more resolution and a better codec. Once the Hack is released things will change even more.

7. Collapse Details
    Can the gh3 record raw like canon and surpass the 5d raw craze that's on the horizon?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMillard81 View Post
    Can the gh3 record raw like canon and surpass the 5d raw craze that's on the horizon?
    I wouldn't hold my breath for unrealistic expectations. Unless your shooting a narrative movie you will find shooting raw a real pain in the ass for most things. You would be spending twice the camera price in drives and cards to get a good amount of raw from the Canon.

9. Collapse Details
    RatLab great response, so if I'm looking to do doc work etc raw is a joke? Looks like I should get a gh3. How will speedbooster impact video quality etc?

10. Collapse Details
    RAW isn't a joke it is just time consuming and resource intensive. I wouldn't personally ever shoot a doc RAW. The shooting ratio on docs are just way too high for that level of footage. In Narrative you can be much more selective in your shooting ratio.

I have no idea about the speed booster as the EOS-M4/3 version isn't out but I bet you can get an idea of how it effects image in the many speed booster threads in this forum. There are some drawbacks its just about how important that is to you specifically. Its easy to get caught up in pixel peeping things most audience wouldn't know or care about.

There are so many great option in camera out that will give you images only dreamed up 5-7 years ago. Get some good glass and get out there and create!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast