Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vtwiz View Post
    How about the Sigma 18-35 1.8. Sharpness wise, it is suppose to be very close to the quality of a good prime but with the flexibility of a zoom. Well built, great feel to it.....
    Yes, there is finally something to trade my loyal Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC for. Sigma 18-35 1.8 is a stop faster, newer design (probably sharper) better construction and as it turns out has little if no breathing when rack focus. Truely a great deal for the price and I wasn't even looking to replace the Tamron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULK4x6YVMzU

Watch the window frame on the right in shot 2 on the house when rack focusing
    Last edited by ROCKMORE; 01-05-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Michael Rockmore

2. Collapse Details
    My third lens is the Tamron 17-50 (first is the kit len, second is the 50 1.8) and it is really wonderful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you everyone! A year later, and I'm finally in the position to use this info. I'll be looking into those Sigma and Tamron lenses mentioned.
    Much of the lenses that came up while searching for a new one were ideal for photography work and not video, so I'm glad that I rediscovered this post.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
    Thank you everyone! A year later, and I'm finally in the position to use this info. I'll be looking into those Sigma and Tamron lenses mentioned.
    Much of the lenses that came up while searching for a new one were ideal for photography work and not video, so I'm glad that I rediscovered this post.
    Get what you can afford with the best resale
    Michael Rockmore

5. Collapse Details

I use M42 vintage manual glass on my 600D/T3i DSLR. It may not be the sharpest choice for lenses, but certainly has a lot of character compared to some of the cheaper Canon EF glass. The above video was mainly shot on a Chinon M42 200mm lens, can be purchased for around 30 on ebay, certainly a great choice if you're on a super tight budget. I've heard good things about the Samyang lenses as well, technically they shouldn't be considered cine lenses, but they are certainly better than EF glass.

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cryogenic Filmworks's Avatar
    I myself am researching a new lens purchase for my T3i. I am looking at getting either a 35mm or a 28mm. I sortof lean to the 28mm for the little extra width, my issue is does it "fisheye". I don't have the ability to test either of them at this point but I need something a little wider than my 50mm for areas that are a little closer. I really hate that fisheye look which is why I do not have a gopro (yea I have seen where they use software or whatever to flatten it out but I have no desire to mess with that and do not believe it to keep quality). If there is no problem with the 28mm, how far can you actually go down without getting that fisheye look. So although I plan on getting both at some point (provided the 28mm does not fisheye) which is the one I should get.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
    50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryogenic Filmworks View Post
    So although I plan on getting both at some point (provided the 28mm does not fisheye) which is the one I should get.
    Why not just get the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8...and have everything covered up to 35mm?

8. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cryogenic Filmworks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrov View Post
    Why not just get the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8...and have everything covered up to 35mm?
    Don't like zooms. Trying to build a prime kit.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
    50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

9. Collapse Details
    I had a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, a Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS, a vintage Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4, an EF 70-200 f/4 L IS, an Olympus OM 300mm f/4.5 and a Nikkor 600mm AIS ED f/5.6 with my T3i.

After I got the 24mm IS, I basically shot everything on a stabilizer with it and then all my wildlife shots on the 600mm with and without the 3x crop zoom function. Between the 24 and the 3x crop with IS I had everything covered, barring the novelty super wide with the Tokina. Don't underestimate the value of doing head shots back and forth with the 3x crop on a wide vs buying and swapping out more lenses.

I've now sold all my Canon lenses and shoot on a GH4 with a 17mm f/1.8 almost exclusively. Those two lenses for their crop factor are almost the perfect do all lenses. Especially if you can use the 3x crop zoom or ETC function to effectively create a super fast 85-100mm equivalent focal length with the switch of a button.

Just my $0.02 on the perfect lenses.

Cheers,
    Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12