Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    T3i - Lens Advice
    Hey, so I have a Canon T3i with the 50mm f/1.8 and I'm looking at some other lens to purchase. The types of films that I work with vary, but I currently do some interviews and short stories, and am experimenting with other types as well. I'm a perspective film student at a college and so don't have a large lens budget at the moment, but any information as to the quality and value of these lens will be much appreciated!

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens - $149
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens - $369

I've heard that Cine Lens are worth their weight, but like I said, I can't go around buying those expensive Canon or Zeiss Cine Lens. I've found a few other brands that make fairly cheap cine lens, though I haven't heard much about these brands:

Samyang 14mm T3.1 Cine Lens - $449
    Rokinon 14mm T3.1 Cine Lens - $449
    Rokinon 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens - $549
    Samyang 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens - $349
    Rokinon 85mm T1.5 Cine Lens - $349

Finishing off my questions, do I really need an expensive UV filter? It seems all it does is protect the lens from scratches and remove some glare.
    Last edited by iamlance; 05-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    If you are on a limited budget get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non vc. Great and sharp lens on a tight budget. Cine primes are great if you have cash for a set. If you have a 50mm already you will need at least 2 of the primes in your list to cover the range. good luck and have fun with the camera.
    Michael Rockmore

3. Collapse Details
    * the canon 40mm is a great lens, but basically useless for video: the focus ring is a nightmare (small, ackward, and, being fly-by-wire, with a mind of its own)

* samyang lenses are sold under many brands, including samyang, rokinon, bower, opteka, falcon, etc; they're all the same; some of them (8mm fisheye, 35mm, 85mm) are absolutely awesome, some, not so much (the 24mm is kind of a lottery, the 14mm is cheap but not awesome)

4. Collapse Details
    Hi guys! I'm seeking for lens advice too. I got a deal and turns out that I got some old Nikkon Lens Nikkor-T 135mm 2.8F and Nikkor-Q 50mm 2.8F. I tried to find some lense adapters for those on B&H and I find out I didn't really know what I was looking for, for the adapter I mean.

The old owner of those lenses told me that since he got them, he never used them. So I don't have a clue of what kind of lense adapter for old nikkon lense to a T3i.

If someone have some advice about this, that would be great! Thanks!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SLavictoire View Post
    So I don't have a clue of what kind of lense adapter for old nikkon lense to a T3i.
    Try THIS.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMORE View Post
    If you are on a limited budget get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non vc. Great and sharp lens on a tight budget.
    +1

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKMORE View Post
    If you are on a limited budget get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non vc. Great and sharp lens on a tight budget. Cine primes are great if you have cash for a set.
    Im still stunned at how many times i fall back on this lens, it never fails.

8. Collapse Details
    Get something like a 17-50 f2.8 zoom and a 70-200 f2.8 zoom and you will be able to cover a lot of ground. After you have the zooms for a while, you will have a better idea of which focal lengths you shoot at most, and you can focus on getting those prime lenses when you have the funds.
    David W. Jones

9. Collapse Details
    How about the Sigma 18-35 1.8. Sharpness wise, it is suppose to be very close to the quality of a good prime but with the flexibility of a zoom. Well built, great feel to it.....

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
    Hey, so I have a Canon T3i with the 50mm f/1.8 and I'm looking at some other lens to purchase.
    At some point in the future you could think of trading this one for a 50mm 1.4. It's faster than the 1.8 one, has a better finish and the result is much better, everything else being equal. I've used both on my T3i and have kept the 50mm 1.8 as a backup lens. Search for some comparisons between both lenses here or on YT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast