Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My father-in-law is an old-school engineer with an amazing work history. He worked for Grumman on the LEM lunar module, also the Hubble telescope and some declassified spy satellites (He worked in *some* capacity on these projects.....obviously they were the result of HUGE collaborative efforts).

Off topic but very cool, they would eject giant film canisters from the spy satellites that had to be retrieved by a plane with a catcher. A few times I think he said they missed and had to scramble to retrieve them from the ocean before the Russians got them. The linked article said one sank to the ocean floor.

I cannot wait till he sees Gravity so I can get his opinion on all the film's logistics, especially on the subject of the altitude difference/orbit path between the ISS and Hubble.
    Last edited by Scott F; 10-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Un-fing believable! This film was incredible. Not only visually a masterpiece, but working in such real human drama, and plot through only dialog. Amazing. Bullock's performance was the best of her career. I really hope this film gets the praise it deserves come awards season. Finally an original movie, not based on another movie or a comic book! So refreshing!
    Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Rice View Post
    Un-fing believable! This film was incredible.
    ++

4. Collapse Details
    This is an experience to be had. I don't think I've ever been so fixated on a theater screen in my life. I've always hated (and argued) against anything in 3D, but I gave this one a shot (and in IMAX), and I honestly think that this combination is not only recommended but (imho) necessary. Watching in plain 2D surely diminishes just how amazing this experience is.

While the excitement of a freshly seen movie tends to fade after a while, I don't expect this will happen for me with this movie. I now consider this my holy grail film.
    An endless stream of dead uncle Daves

5. Collapse Details
    Just saw it at a Super Cinema here in 3D with mega watts of surround sound.

Loved the opening graphic, 'There's no sound in space' then they demonstrate the silence. So you're in the movie, in space, in the capsules, in trouble.
    Breath on the face plates etc, clever stuff.

Had some trouble with Ms Bullocks character, she had repeatedly crashed their NASA simulator but seemed right at home in the Russian and Chinese modules, and instantly found the right pages in their operating manuals. But she pole dances around in brief shorts, made up for it.

And at 91mins I wondered what's been deleted. There's someone credited for Greenland Casting, there's a clue .. maybe she came ashore there
    and some kids found her.

Gravity is an ideal platform for 3D fx, they're coming of age. And Gravity might just get an Oscar for Best Sound. Copy?

Cheers.
    35yrs with our own a/v production company and studios.

6. Collapse Details
    And Gravity might just get an Oscar for Best Sound. Copy?
    It should. "the sound of gravity" was linked a few pages back, but can we also talk about how amazing the musical score is, aside from SFX? During the crash scenes & such?

7. Collapse Details
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/20...-of-gravity/#!

Another cool article from an actual astronaut that addresses MAH's biggest qualm about Gravity.

(someone find me an emoticon where the smiley face is wearing a spacesuit.) : )

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/20...-of-gravity/#!

Another cool article from an actual astronaut that addresses MAH's biggest qualm about Gravity.

(someone find me an emoticon where the smiley face is wearing a spacesuit.) : )
    From the article...
    Another huge error was – there was absolutely no reason for Clooney to sacrifice himself!!! Once Sandra caught him, he would be just floating there. A small tug on his tether would send him back to the space station.
    Couldn't agree more.

But I've seen the movie three times now and I still love it.

MONSTERFEST : 4th Place - Sustained Excellence Award - WESTFEST: 3rd Place - THRILLFEST: 3rd Place

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    It should. "the sound of gravity" was linked a few pages back, but can we also talk about how amazing the musical score is, aside from SFX? During the crash scenes & such?
    The music during the first crash scene was one of the main things that made that scene for me, extremely tense and goosebump raising.

10. Collapse Details
    Personally I had many problems with the movie breaking my ability to suspend my disbelief. For instance, that anyone can fly a space craft by pushing 2 buttons, that you can fly a space craft by "enny, meany, miney, moe", that you can fly a Russian or Chinese space craft by quick look at a book when you don't speak either language.

Then the whole bit about George Clunny having to unhook himself and let go. In space, one quick tug would have him moving towards the craft. He was a real throw away character.

How about that accidental re-entry angle? It's actually a very small angle to reenter earth's atmosphere. Too steep and you burn up, to shallow and you bounce off.

And on the way down the radio said they were calling off the search. So she starves to death in a foreign country's wilderness?

I could go on. You want real suspense you can believe in, go watch Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast