Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5D Mark III firmware with clean HDMI is ready right now.
    5D Mark III firmware is ready now. It has already been installed on some users cameras by Canon service. This is the firmware that provides clean HDMI output of video and Auto Focus in photo mode for lenses with a maximum aperture of f/8. For you non photographers that enables auto focus when combining an f/5.6 lens with a 1.4x teleconverter or an f/4 lens with 2x teleconverter. Anyway, the firmware is finished, it is version 1.2.1, and it is out in the wild right now. In fact, I have a copy on my hard drive but I think I will wait for the official download from Canon USA.

P.S. I can't wait to see some sample footage in Prores HQ...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3474597

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the heads up.

People had been complaining that the clean HDMI is still 'boxed', but seemingly you have to push the 'Info' button a few times until you get the unboxed output. Just FYI for any early adopters.

3. Collapse Details
    There's a copy here on fred miranda:
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...806/5#11510766

that I installed. Works well, has the hdmi options, but I dont have a recorder to test. Anyone that does should post samples
    -Jamie
    Canon 5d MkIII/Canon 5d MkII/Canon 16-35 2,8L USM/Sigma 50 1,4/Canon 70-200 2,8L USM/Canon 15 2,8 Fisheye/

4. Collapse Details
    I have a nanoflash I could test it with. Whats the actual procedure for installing the firmware on the camera?

5. Collapse Details
    http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17558

Includes download links, says use at your own risk till it's released.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by simonpwood View Post
    I have a nanoflash I could test it with. Whats the actual procedure for installing the firmware on the camera?
    Simon, If you go to Canon USA website you can download the 1.1.3 firmware update and in that zip file are official Canon firmware update instructions in pdf format. The Canon official procedure is very simple and easy to follow.

If anyone wants some extra assurance, the MD5 sum of the 1.2.1 firmware file should be 3cab840cd3d4cf175b5b4e0ea514eba9

You can test the file and make sure the MD5 matches that with a program like hashcalc or other MD5 checker before installation.

I'm very eager to see actual footage with the new firmware recorded through HDMI out to ProresHQ 422. Even 10 seconds would be awesome. But I totally understand if everyone wants to wait for the official Canon download on the 30th.

P.S. The firmware file itself is dated April 8th, 2013. I wonder if it was ready before then or if they were really working on it all the way into April.

7. Collapse Details
    Here's just a short clip using my 5Dmk3 and into the Hyperdeck Shuttle shooting Prores HQ.

www.armstrongfilm.se/5dprores.mov

8. Collapse Details
    Osslund, thank you for the footage. Is this 25p wrapped in 50i? Is that normal for the Hyperdeck?
    Last edited by Celluloid Dream; 04-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Tested it:
    • It works with the Nanoflash: 24p. Live preview on a Samsung D8000 looked really good (shooting a model up close).
    • Didn't see a way to enable camera display with HDMI out at same time.
    • Didn't appear to send audio out HDMI (perhaps is turned down or off- need to explore).
    • Zero increase in resolution vs. internal: A/B test in Premiere.
    • Color and brightness shift internal vs. external (perhaps Nanoflash issue (HDMI Color: was on Full vs. Legal)).
    • Nanoflash at max bitrate (180Mbps) had major macroblocking vs internal IPB (1080p24). Camera stationary on desk.

Have other tasks to take care of, then can explore more, including comparing to the FS700 with Speed Booster and same lens.

10. Collapse Details
    Tested it. There is a brightness difference but I could extract all the highlights and shadows back as they were in AE so no problem there. I captured uncompressed with my Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

The internal codec is just mindblowingly good. There is an improvement capturing externally but it's so small and negligible. Color is very slightly improved across edges (courtesy of 4:2:2) and the blue channel is a bit cleaner, macroblocking is less. No difference in sharpness as expected. But still. As expected noise was a bit more apparent with no compression. Internal codec is seriously good guys. Way better than AVCHD from the FS700 and the like.

I see no point in going external. Even when shooting greenscreen.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast