Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Ok. This is what Really Right Stuff recommends.
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...code=MPR-CL-II
    Ignore the extra clamp but the plate is what you would use.
    The MPR-CL or CL II adapts it. RRS may offer MPR-CL in a package with the new head.

2. Collapse Details
    That is exactly what I have to use RRS with my current video heads, a MPR-CLII. It works great and lets you move the camera fore and aft which helps with balance. I am very excited to be able to buy this new video head when available.

3. Collapse Details
    I don't own anything in their system, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how thoughtfully everything is designed.
    The new fluid head looks like an older style O'Connor and if it performs anywhere close then it is really worth every penny.
    However, the one thing I want to know is what is it's minimum weight capacity, this is the real issue with most DSLR's, not the maximum payload. Obtaining a properly balanced camera with something as small and light as a GH2 or now the new Pocket BM camera and a pancake lens is a real challenge for most video heads.

4. Collapse Details
    Can anyone tell me what "sinusoidal counter balance" is?

Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Obtaining a properly balanced camera with something as small and light as a GH2 or now the new Pocket BM camera and a pancake lens is a real challenge for most video heads.
    I agree, but with an extremely light camera, you can probably do without a counter balance depending on the tilt friction. The Sachtler FSB-4 has a "0" setting on the counter balance which disengages the counter balance spring. The 1, 2, 3 & 4 setting are stepped up to 8.8lbs.

Though if you have Sachtler's FSB-6 or 8 heads, you have no "0" setting & the #1 spring is going to be too strong for a super light camera, & I think this is what you're talking about.

The other difficult thing with really light cameras & good counter balance, is your pan bar. The camera & pan bar might weigh the same, but the pan bar is sticking 18" off the back of the head, so no matter what you'll always be back heavy unless you stick your camera 18" off the front. (Approximate numbers here of course.)
    Last edited by zijital; 04-16-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: sinusoidal question
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

5. Collapse Details
    I did have the pleasure of playing with this head on a monopod at the nab and it's truly a pleasure, after finding the balance point of the camera you can tilt and pan this thing any direction you want and leave it right there. Too bad at this price point is not something that i will buy to be use exclusively on my monopod.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    You might have to add a small adapter to the L bracket. Does the bottom have another 1/4 20 on it?
    It'd be easier, albiet more expensive, to use this or this.

Also, their MH-02 monopod head has an "indexing" (rotateable in 90 degree increments) AS clamp, maybe the FH-55 will too.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    I don't own anything in their system, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how thoughtfully everything is designed.
    The new fluid head looks like an older style O'Connor and if it performs anywhere close then it is really worth every penny.
    However, the one thing I want to know is what is it's minimum weight capacity, this is the real issue with most DSLR's, not the maximum payload. Obtaining a properly balanced camera with something as small and light as a GH2 or now the new Pocket BM camera and a pancake lens is a real challenge for most video heads.
    The head is designed for any DSLR including a GH2 & GH3. That was the reason they made the head. For smaller light weight cameras and cameras up to 10 lbs.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    It'd be easier, albiet more expensive, to use this or this.

Also, their MH-02 monopod head has an "indexing" (rotateable in 90 degree increments) AS clamp, maybe the FH-55 will too.
    Nope, that would not work. It takes the opposite part to attach into the receiver on the head. I have a bunch of RRS and the MPR-CL II as is recommended is the only solution currently. The parts you suggest do make a 90 degree turn, but they will not fit directly into the head.

9. Collapse Details
    Any news on this head? Is it any good?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12