Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Canon a no-show?
    Seriously, did they send the second unit or something? Instead of revealing any new innovations they announce how you can finance their overpriced products. Woohoo!
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

2. Collapse Details
    Canon had an absolutely massive booth and a theater. To call them a "no-show" would be exactly the opposite of what they did. I didn't compare but my guess is their booth was on par with the monstrously big Sony booth.

NAB is not all about announcing new products, it's about showing your product line. They had a big product line. And they rarely ever announce new products at NAB; they announce at whenever they want, sometimes at events of their own invention (such as when they set up a special event specifically for the introduction of the EOS Cinema C300).

3. Collapse Details
    Not only did Canon have their theater, they had the stage out in front of their booth with speakers lined up all day.
    True, they didn't have new products to announce - but seems like most people criticized them last year for releasing too many cameras too close to eachother.

I agree that most of their cinema line seems overpriced given the market - but I have to agree with Barry that they were by no means a 'no show.'

4. Collapse Details
    Ok, I get that.

I just meant a no-show in terms of what non-attendees care about (which would be the majority of people, btw).. which is debuting new innovations, products, enhancements, etc. They essentially had some new financing details and firmware and that's about it. Or at least, that's what people have taken away from it.

So perhaps they had a big presence on the floor, but to most people I'd argue they definitely came across as a no-show.
    http://www.refocusedmedia.com
    Film / Photography
    esse quam videri

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by refocusedmedia View Post
    Ok, I get that.

I just meant a no-show in terms of what non-attendees care about (which would be the majority of people, btw).. which is debuting new innovations, products, enhancements, etc. They essentially had some new financing details and firmware and that's about it. Or at least, that's what people have taken away from it.

So perhaps they had a big presence on the floor, but to most people I'd argue they definitely came across as a no-show.
    So are they to just announce more cameras because some other company does? 4 cameras last year in the C line. All very nice cameras.
    Dude, Canon announces cameras on their own dates. Nearly everyone knows that. Obviously Canon isn't at NAB looking for Diamond awards like some companies.

About price. Sure, Canon could think about reducing their prices (WHICH THEY HAVE) but I bet you everyone that shoots with a C300 or C100 will tell you that after a week of shooting with the camera they don't regret the purchase one bit. I'm a guy that sold my BMC and bought a C100 because I rented a C300 and loved it. If the BMC4k proves to have a nice image I will possibly buy that too. But it won't be because of it's price. It will be because of it's performance.

Canon reduced the C100's price 3 weeks after I bought it. Am I mad? No. I just had bad luck in timing. The camera has already paid itself off. It's a total joy to work with. Expensive? Maybe for some. Worth it? For me, every penny. Now if it were just not as hard to rent a C300. Man, they are always out. I wonder why????

I think they were a no show to you. And you're trolling.

6. Collapse Details
    XA-25 has got to be exciting for anyone who wants a babycam w/ HD-SDI.

I know there were a lot of rumors going around about a C200 or C50, but I think it would've been out of character for Canon to announce something like that at NAB. It would've been cool, but I wasn't going to bet it would happen.

When I think of Canon's release schedule think of these two things:

XF300 & C300

1. The XF300, in my opinion, is the response to the HVX200. Small, tapeless camera. XF300 wasn't released until 2010, half a decade after the HVX200, three years after the EX1. And both of those cameras were refreshed before the XF300 came out (HVX200a & EX1r).

2. The C300 was released after the Panasonic AF100 & Sony FS100. Canon took its sweet time getting the camera to the market. To design the C300 from the ground up in under 3 years after the 5Dii was released says Canon took it seriously & didn't wait too long. But I did read a quote that they made it in "two years," which implies that they still sat on their hands for a year after the 5Dii shook up the video world before thinking that they should do something about it.

If Canon was a company to rush into the newest fad as quickly as possible, we would've seen a mock up 5Dii w/ XLRs at NAB 2009, just 6 months after the 5Dii was released.

I personally feel like we probably won't see anything new from Canon on the cinema line for a year, but probably another two. Though it is a safe bet to think a 7Dii will be announced at anytime, but probably nothing else that would set DVXUsers fire.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

7. Collapse Details
    Where to frak is my C305!

8. Collapse Details
    I think this is coming from a place of mismatched expectations. People who expect the companies to introduce something every NAB, will be disappointed, because the companies simply do NOT introduce new stuff solely, exclusively, or necessarily even frequently, at NAB.

Secondly, I think people are still buying into those stupid-ass rumor sites that make stuff up and post it as if it's news. So no wonder people get all bent out of shape when there isn't a C50, or a C200, or an AF200 or whatever. There never was going to be such a product anyway, and it's those dumb rumor sites that get people all worked up. Somewhere, someone thinks it's funny to troll a rumor site with some amazing new announcement, just so they can watch how the entire camcorder community goes head over heels for whatever new product is supposed to be introduced, when it was always a lie... there is no OIS version of the 7-14 Lumix lens, regardless of how many rumor sites said there would be. The AF100 wasn't discontinued in 2011, regardless of how many rumor sites said it was. There never was a Lumix 12-50 f/2.8-3.3 lens, regardless of how many rumor sites swore up and down that there was one. And there never was going to be an EOS C50 at this year's show, regardless of how many rumor sites said that there was going to be.

The rumor sites are absolutely and completely unreliable. Ignore them and you'll find life flows a lot smoother and you won't be tossed around with every breeze that some liar makes up and "leaks" to a rumor site, who then prints that it's an "FT5" or "CR4" or "our trusted source" blah blah.

(and do I really think people make stuff up, just to troll the internet and get people's panties in a bunch? Why, yes I do...)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Osslund View Post
    Where to frak is my C305!
    and my C150, come on Canon!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by refocusedmedia View Post
    Ok, I get that.

Wait, wait, wait, wait... You're calling Canon a no-show to an event in which they had a huge presence and that you didn't show up to?

Has the internet always been this way or am I just getting curmudgeony?

I'm just taking the piss, but seriously, Barry is right. NAB isn't always about new product releases, and for Canon I don't think it ever has been.
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    Currently Shooting "Expedition Unknown" on Travel Channel
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast