Thread: Adobe Premiere

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that subscription stuff is bullcrap. I wanted to get Adobe Muse but as it was only available as subscription it was a no go.
    I have very uneven cash flows. I survive by limiting my monthly expenses. When I have some money I buy things I need, then I have very low expenses for bad times. But that's not possible with this subscription nonsense.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ELN614 View Post
    I echo all this. I went to their booth and asked some questions like this.

Me: Do I need to be connected to the internet to use the newest version?
    Adobe: No. This is a great deal for $29 a month. (a small sales pitch)
    Me: Well my NLE computer lacked internet access. How do I get the latest version?
    Adobe: you download it.
    me: Wait I just told you I lack internet access for my computer.
    Adobe: do you have internet access on any other computer?
    me: yes
    Adobe: Well download the software and transfer the file to your NLE and just install it.
    me: this sounds great.
    --Pause for me to think--
    me: What if I cancel my subscription?
    Adobe: no problem
    me: So I can continue to use the software?
    Adobe: It will stop working completely.
    me: How will it stop working? The computer is not connected to the internet so it won't know I cancelled.
    Adobe: The software needs to access Adobe on the internet to verify every month.
    me:wait you just told me my NLE does not need to be connected to the internet.
    Adobe: It doesn't, it just need to be connected once a month.
    me: so you lied to me about needing to be connected to internet?
    Adobe: no response
    (I dropped their handouts and left)

As another poster mentioned it's a great deal -- assuming -- your buying it new verses getting an update version price.
    Other note is I often skipped versions since most updates lacked any valuable difference for me.
    if you buy it you just download it once like any other NLE, you need to be hooked to the cloud monthly only if you do the subscription service. I don't get the controversy here.

3. Collapse Details
    I hate the idea of the cloud, they sell it as a "savings", but if I buy the stand-alone box, I am spending a good 300-600 less if I just edit for 3 years.

I've been editing with CS4 for some 5 years now, if I used the subscription, I would have spent a minimum of over 1,400$, in contrast to the $600 I spent up-front thanks to my student discount. I don't understand how that's saving me money.

$600 one time, I can understand, but that subscription fee sucking out of my bank account even on months I don't have work just because I don't want to go through the hassle and extra-cost of subscribing and unsubscribing?

No thanks, I like owning the software instead of it being rationed out to me, then taken away if I find myself in a rough spot and unable to complete a job.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by WesScog View Post
    I hate the idea of the cloud, they sell it as a "savings", but if I buy the stand-alone box, I am spending a good 300-600 less if I just edit for 3 years.

I've been editing with CS4 for some 5 years now, if I used the subscription, I would have spent a minimum of over 1,400$, in contrast to the $600 I spent up-front thanks to my student discount. I don't understand how that's saving me money.
    Well, legally speaking, you're not supposed to be making money with the Student version. That's why it's the student version.

5. Collapse Details
    I didn't say I didn't upgrade since then, regardless, I can't come up with good enough reasons to motivate switching over to the cloud system. I don't like the idea of it getting turned off if Adobe's servers have a hiccup. Always on DRM has been a failure in games, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea in commercial software.

At the very least, if they offered a bigger one-time purchase fee, I could even justify that expense.

But not having control over software that I rely on to survive just isn't something I can justify. I'll be switching to Avid or move to the Mac if this is the only upgrade path I have offered to me.

6. Collapse Details
    If some of you want no Internet how do you plan on moving to FCPX which can only be purchased from the Mac App Store and updated from the Mac App Store? How do you do system updates? I think some people are making way too big a deal of the five second need for Internet access once a month. It only connects to adobe to make sure your account is current. Once it does that you can remove the Internet access again for 30 days.

The guy from Adobe did not lie. He may not have articulated it very well but he did not lie. Basically yes it is true you don't need to keep the system on the Internet but once a month you have to quickly turn on wifi or plug in a cable for five seconds to make sure you are still paying for the software. Honestly I fail to see how this is such an evil thing.

You pay monthly for the Internet, electricity, cell phone, web hosting and other things so why is it so bad to do the same for great software that helps you pay your bills. If you stop paying your cell phone don't you lose the ability to make calls or use 4g service? This is a new reality and someday all software may switch to this method.

7. Collapse Details
    I didn't say I didn't upgrade since then, regardless, I can't come up with good enough reasons to motivate switching over to the cloud system. I don't like the idea of it getting turned off if Adobe's servers have a hiccup. Always on DRM has been a failure in games, I don't know why they thought it would be a good idea in commercial software.

At the very least, if they offered a bigger one-time purchase fee, I could even justify that expense.

But not having control over software that I rely on to survive just isn't something I can justify. I'll be switching to Avid or move to the Mac if this is the only upgrade path I have offered to me.
    It will not turn off. Where did you get this? It only checks the server once a month for about five seconds. The rest of the 30 days you can leave your system 100% disconnected from the Internet.

8. Collapse Details
    Yea, but FCP doesn't shut down if you don't have internet, or if the Apple servers get an error.

If the Adobe servers go down, or they get a licensing error (which seem common according to the complaints i've read), my software is dead in the water until tech support decides to fix it, regardless of if i'm a minimum of $30 dollars poorer.

Because I should be able to OWN the software I buy instead of having it rationed out to me. If I hit a bad month, and I get my internet turned off, I can't make any money off of my editing skills, I can't shoot something for someone and get paid. If I stay with an older CS, or move to Avid or FCP, I can still edit, and get my internet turned back on, or go to a friends place if I just absolutely need internet for something.

With this, if I miss a payment, that's ridiculous to take the software away, it's NECESSARY for my work.

It's a DRM scheme that doesn't really prevent piracy, while causing tons of problems for users, they've tried it with games, and it continues to be a huge nightmare (Look at the latest SimCity for that proof).

If Avid and FCP decided to go this path too, then i'll be switching to an Open-Source editor. They can't trap me in this, so they either offer me a one-time purchase price, or they'll be losing me as a customer, because Always-On-DRM isn't a feasible plan for me, especially since it's two purposes are to...

1. Try to crackdown on piracy.

2. And get Adobe more money.

The true purpose of the software in no way benefits me in any way, it's making me spend way more in the long-term, that's it.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    It will not turn off. Where did you get this? It only checks the server once a month for about five seconds. The rest of the 30 days you can leave your system 100% disconnected from the Internet.
    It will if I miss a payment, or if my internet is down or their servers are down when it wants to check.

10. Collapse Details

Actually you did say you didn't upgrade... "I've been editing on CS4 for 5 years now" means a lack of upgrade since CS4. You also said you only paid $600 because of the student discount, and the wording implies that that you haven't paid any more since (I would have paid $1,400, as opposed to $600"). If you have upgrade since CS4 Student, you probably would have paid most of the difference between $1,400 and $600.

And it isn't always on DRM. As multiple people have stated it's once a month.

Personally, I'm not sure how I feel about the subscription idea. But at some point I'm going to need to upgrade, and Adobe has changed their upgrade policy structure to encourage the use of the cloud, unless you wait more than three years to upgrade. S. do I wait until CS8 to save some money? Bleegh...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast