Thread: Adobe Premiere

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
  1. Collapse Details
    Amen.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

2. Collapse Details
    I'm not a fan of the subscription model, but I understand why Adobe is doing it.
    From a bean counter's perspective the cash flow of a company that only releases an update every year or two, that not everyone buys is a tough thing to manage. You have to spend a lot to keep the company going and pay the development costs and you're not sure how much you'll make off it next year. Compare that to subscription where you know how much money is coming in every month, a relatively stable amount, and you can then fix the rest of your expenditures around it. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of financial forecasting.
    From the development side, they too have it better under the subscription model as they can keep adding features as they go and build the products up without having to wait for a major update that could be a year or more away.
    It's all just for bottom line stability.
    For the consumer however, there's a lot of emotional reasons to not like it but if you run the numbers it's not very different than buying it and then upgrading somewhat regularly.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by pkw11 View Post
    Adobe didn't become a software giant by selling millions of copies of their software to millions of studios. They got big by selling software to people like me.

And now people like me are not going buy Adobe any longer.
    I'd split the difference and say Adobe got big by selling software to people that used it day in and day out as their primary source of income. Some of those people have already upgraded to CC and some of them have not.

Quote Originally Posted by hscully View Post
    There are no more upgrades available for CS6. That's what I'm saying. I never said I wanted perpetual upgrades for no money! I want to upgrade my software but I cannot! The only way to get new features is to join the Creative Cloud and pay by the month, which was NOT the deal when I bought the software.
    You CAN upgrade your software to the latest version and get access to new features you just don't want to because of the new business model. Not having a choice and not liking your choices aren't the same thing. Again, what deal did Adobe specifically make with you? Did Adobe promise you that their business model would never ever change? That new software would always be available? I doubt it. Have you seen Adobe Encore, Shake or Avid Express Pro recently? Probably not since all those programs are dead.

Me too. What you say about market forces is accurate. Someone else has made this point in this thread but it's worth repeating. Adobe has managed to pull a tremendous trick here. They have no need to add worthy innovations to their feature set to encourage upgrades. They have effectively side stepped their incentive to innovate. The subscriber pays no matter what they don't do. It's Silicon Valley hubris at it's worse.
    How can Adobe just coast now? CS6, Final Cut (7 and X), Media Composer, Lightworks, etc., still exist and $600 a year for software isn't an insurmountable hurdle. Many people that took out multi-year loans to get their $100k Avid setups made the switch to FCP back in the day so, IMO, $600 a year is far from a lock-in price. Not to mention that the door has been opened for competitors to poach upset Adobe users. Sure, it might be a few years before some of the competing software is good enough but it's a crack in Adobe's user base that didn't exist before.

-Andrew
    Looking For Lenny - feature doc about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy and Free Speech.
    Netflix
    iTunes
    Amazon
    Cable VOD & streaming info

4. Collapse Details
    I appreciate the heads up on Avid, guys. I have been working with the free download. It's OK. It feels a little old compared to PP or even Vegas.

It is a good business model for them, and I'm glad it keeps them all working. I write software, so I'm always happy when software developers get to keep their jobs. Their health is good for everyone I suppose.

Things do certainly change, Matt. I may have to just bite the bullet and subscribe if, and when I need to. I'm suffering from an aversion to this model but there's no need for you all to have to suffer any more of my griping! ;) So, I'll just let this go and see what happens.

5. Collapse Details
    I'm suffering from an aversion to this model but there's no need for you all to have to suffer any more of my griping! ;) So, I'll just let this go and see what happens.
    I was in a similar boat (planning on staying with CS6 until the dust settled a little more) until I was offered an editing gig where they were already using Creative Cloud. Amazing how quickly you can make a decision when there is a paycheck involved! ;)

-Andrew
    Looking For Lenny - feature doc about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy and Free Speech.
    Netflix
    iTunes
    Amazon
    Cable VOD & streaming info

6. Collapse Details
    I guess I'm confused as to where Adobe has stated (or even implied) anywhere that buying a particular piece of software with a perpetual license entitles me to indefinite updates. Every piece of software I've ever bought has always been under the understanding that the company will support it as long as it makes financial sense for them. Now it usually makes financial sense to support more expensive pieces of software, or software that sells in high volumes until for a while with minor updates and bug fixes. But the idea that I should expect Adobe, Microsoft, Apple, whomever to keep updating their software with new technology after another version comes out makes no sense. Creative Cloud is effectively CS7. Expecting them to keep CS6 (or 5, or 4, etc.) up to date with the latest technology indefinitely when newer versions are released makes no sense. No one has ever done that before.

Also, looking on Adobe's website, they say they plan on selling CS6 indefinitely, which means they plan on supporting indefinitely. But that's like Ford saying they plan on selling the 2009 Taurus' indefinitely. It would be a unreasonable to expect them to perpetually update a 2009 design with 2014 technology, and every following year's tech.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I didn't say that, or didn't mean to imply that they should update the old version. I want to upgrade to the new version with a perpetual license, not the Cloud and that, when I bought it, was available to me. Now it's not.

What they've done, to follow the car metaphor, is to tell me I can lease a new Taurus but I can't buy one. Which is their right and good on 'em and all who lease Taurus's.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415