Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Furtado View Post
    The Birns and Sawyer rep was on hand chatting about LED with me for a while and he said that 5600K (daylight) will now be the absolute standard. That film was 3200K but now with digital taking over everything, it favors daylight over tungsten.
    It does, especially lower cost sensors. It's not unusual to see noise from the blue channel when using tungsten lights. All three channels will give you noise when light starved; it's just easier to light starve the blue channel when using lights that are themselves deficient in blue light output.

2. Collapse Details
    Are there some new updates about LED light on NAB2013 ? I didn't find many topics and the NAB is just ending.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    The original Red One sensor was ALOT better in 5600k light. Sonce the MX sensor it looks just at good in 3200k, imo.
    No it doesn't - maybe it just looks good, maybe good enough, but no bayer CMOS sensor performs as well under tungsten conditions. Noise floor is way closer at hand on any bayer camera when shooting tungsten white-balance - the MX and its post tools form is a great system, so it is more forgiving (more room to spare), but you're still lowering dynamic range - in other words, no matter how good you find performance of any digital camera under tungsten, all aspects of image rendition would be that much better under a daylight white-balance.

LED lights have crappy CRI/color performance. I don't care what stats they may give you, they are not up to snuff for serious high-end production. In the future, that may change, but so far they are only suitable for cheapie corporates or lighting backgrounds, not main (skin tone) subjects.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    I think the real reason behind this reasoning is that right now 5600K LED emitters perform better than the 3200K LEDs do. ( better CRI, higher output )
    No, CRI on LED and plasma lighting is better when at 3200K - I think the sweet spot is around 3800K - not sure why, there is a technical reason though

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    When I bought my first LED lights, I initially went for 5600K, because it is easier to mix with daylight, and because, as Bassman2003 said, it's easier to gel down than up.

Then I watched this:
    http://prolost.com/blog/2012/11/30/w...-the-room.html
    And now I'm going back to 3200K

For those without the time to watch it: warmer light goes deeper into your skin before bouncing back, so people look better under warm light. "glow from the inside" vs "reflect as if you were made of plastic"
    Great presentation (Prolost) by the way -- worth watching him, thanks for the link

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo View Post
    No, CRI on LED and plasma lighting is better when at 3200K - I think the sweet spot is around 3800K - not sure why, there is a technical reason though
    Really?

Most of the manufacturers show lower output with their 3200K LED sources, and 3200K LED sources are notorious for green spikes that have to be filtered out.

5600K LED sources are brighter, and appear to require less filtration to be useable.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by raw_64 View Post
    Great presentation (Prolost) by the way -- worth watching him, thanks for the link
    with Stu, that's always the case
    if you want more: http://www.similaar.com/foto/5tu/5tu.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yatti View Post
    Are there some new updates about LED light on NAB2013 ? I didn't find many topics and the NAB is just ending.
    As far as I could tell there were more LED lights than any other product.

There were only a couple that impressed me as "original designs" because of their small, sealed housing, but those left me wondering how long until the total output goes down significantly.

90% of the other lights were "me too" products where you'd need a controlled space to see how good the really were.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Furtado View Post
    5600K (daylight) will now be the absolute standard.
    Totally disagree. If I had to choose one and I do all the time, 4500K would be 'it'. Indeed, my modd'd HID lights are 4500K. Add +1/4 to +1 CTB to boost for daylight or +1/4 to +1CTO for the tungsten end.
    Not a whole lot of the LED panel peddlers know ( or will admit) the rest of the LED story but one thin no one can deny, the colder the output, the more lumens per watt. That's because ALL LED emitters start life a horrible 'screaming Blue' and phosphor is added to bring the temp down. More phosphor, more light lost.
    so sales people run around spouting whatever just to convince customers to hit the 'BUY' button.
    Sadly, I have to ameliorate even the cleaner white 5,000K emitters to suite my taste, because I detest single color emitter arrays.
    Sooner or later they come around to my crazy ways ;)
    One thing is for sure. You can't beat an armada of task specific lights. 5000K for outdoor fills and mains, and 3400-4000K for Incan balance.
    The one good use for 5600K is if you like the cool background/ warm subject mix. That's because you can lock WB on a face say using the 5,600K light and causing the background (daylite) to go cold- a lovely effect. Great for interviews, Dawn/Dusk shoots etc.
    But Indoors with mixed Flou/Incan. How is 5600K going to help?
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 04-12-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    "We are approaching the point where the cost of the camera vs. the quality of the return negates the worthiness of investing in a $40K system. Further, what people want is ease of use.
    ----Clayton Burkhart.
    "I honestly can't tell the difference between any of this footage anymore. Now the motion is different. Maybe that's why I like the Alexa, it moves like film."

10. Collapse Details
    So I'm not the only 4500k freak after all.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast