Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5600K LED is the way of the future?
    While I was on the NAB show floor yesterday, I stumbled across the Filmgear booth. http://filmgear.net/

Their PowerLED lights were pretty insane. He was able to hit the convention center ceiling with his pannel! The Birns and Sawyer rep was on hand chatting about LED with me for a while and he said that 5600K (daylight) will now be the absolute standard. That film was 3200K but now with digital taking over everything, it favors daylight over tungsten. I had never heard this and was curious what everyone else thinks. He mentioned that the only reason we still see tons of Tungsten lights on sets are because studios have millions invested in them and that they are readily available.

It was a very interesting discussion about a fundamental shift in the industry. What do you guys think? Do you mostly use daylight in your lighting kit? Will this fundamental shift start taking over more and more since digital becomes the defacto standard over film?

2. Collapse Details
    So far sensors' filter arrays have been biased towards daylight but that doesn't mean some don't look better under (real) tungsten illumination.

Discontinous sources still have lots of room for improvement, & tungsten is still a great choice for beauty campaigns.

3. Collapse Details
    I found the 5D sensor performs better @ 5600k. Personally I like to shoot narrative @ 4500k because it feels more natural to me.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

4. Collapse Details
    I find 5600k is more useful in more real world situations. So much ambient lighting is in-between 5600k & 3200k and it easier to gel down than up.

5. Collapse Details
    I think the real reason behind this reasoning is that right now 5600K LED emitters perform better than the 3200K LEDs do. ( better CRI, higher output )

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    The original Red One sensor was ALOT better in 5600k light. Sonce the MX sensor it looks just at good in 3200k, imo.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

7. Collapse Details
    What was the pricing on those filmgear lights?
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service

8. Collapse Details
    Damn, on paper it looks like they punch in a lot of light but have you looked at the weight of each panel? 9,5kg for the 160, 14kg for the 240 and 16,5kg for the 360! Hardly lightweight for small shoots but it sure is nice to see LED panels evolve quickly!
    Gabe
    Fotonik Films
    "We are databanks of insignificant details, of repressed memories. The body is a stubborn writer." - Laurier Veilleux

9. Collapse Details
    The native color balance of silicon is around 5600k for equal red/blue sensitivity.

10. Collapse Details
    When I bought my first LED lights, I initially went for 5600K, because it is easier to mix with daylight, and because, as Bassman2003 said, it's easier to gel down than up.

Then I watched this:
    http://prolost.com/blog/2012/11/30/w...-the-room.html
    And now I'm going back to 3200K

For those without the time to watch it: warmer light goes deeper into your skin before bouncing back, so people look better under warm light. "glow from the inside" vs "reflect as if you were made of plastic"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast