Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    An LCD that remains in a fixed position. That's why I have a 60D, and used an external monitor all the time on the others that don't have that.

Which is why you use the tools (peaking). Why are you eyeballing for color anyway? The 5D monitor isn't perfectly accurate either. Plus, I've found the Ninja-2 to actually be decent from what you see on the screen to what you get in the footage. But, again, not that I'd ever eyeball anything.

First, the Ninja does ProRes 422 LT, 422, 422 HQ, AVID DNxHD 220x, 220, 145, and 36. That is 7 formats to choose from. You don't always need the highest version of ProRes...sometimes LT is perfect for my needs.

Second, "Uncompressed" is not Raw (Raw is not an acronym). It is merely uncompressed, and is, essentially, a complete waste of disk space to shoot in uncompressed. It is still 4:2:2 8-bit. It is not Raw.

Third, every single Canon HDMI connection outputs 24p over 60i with 3:2 pulldown. For PAL-land, this will be 50i with 2:2 pulldown for 25p. The Shuttle 2 doesn't do any pulldown removal, where the Ninja-2 does both 3:2 and 2:2. That alone was worth the extra money. It's not so hard to remove 2:2 pulldown for 25p, so that's probably not going to be an issue, but for 24p, removing 3:2 pulldown is a huge PITA. I would prefer for the Ninja-2 to do it for me rather than either run all of my footage through a dynamically linked comp via After Effects or transcode all of my footage. My time is more valuable than that.
    Fourth, the peaking function sucks on a monitor that does not resolve highly enough. You will be fooled, because it will pick out contrasty areas that are out of focus. The monitor is virtually useless.
    I have a Samurai, I know this already.

They should have created a Ninja Blade. They are not going to beat Hyperdeck on the price vs quality equation, even by getting rid of a few overpriced plastic pieces.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-11-2013 at 03:15 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    For $700 though the Ninja makes more sense matched with the 5D, the pulldown means another transcode. The internal hyperdeck battery runtime is short so that's another expense plus you have to spend more on an SSD reader, $100 for a fast one. It's easily worth an extra $200 in the time saved transcoding but I reckon they will bring out a Ninja blade in a few months so it's probably worth waiting for the better display, I tweeted Tonis and suggested he make a loupe for it. I was already prepared to pay $1000 for one because the hyperdeck doesn't do pulldown.

I was testing the 5D and the D5200 in bright daylight and even at low ISOs the 5D IPB codec produces an incredible amount of artifacts while the 24Mbps H.264 on the D5200 is very clean. The 5D will really benefit from an external recorder.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

3. Collapse Details
    What would be the best external recorder to use with a Nikon D7100, considering I am in PAL land and I mostly shoot at 25p.

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea189 View Post
    What would be the best external recorder to use with a Nikon D7100, considering I am in PAL land and I mostly shoot at 25p.

Thanks
    Ninja 2. Atomos appear to be more on the ball with support for different cameras than Blackmagic.
    gamma-movie.com The Indie Gathering 2016 Sci-Fi feature screenplay award winner.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Ninja 2. Atomos appear to be more on the ball with support for different cameras than Blackmagic.
    Thank you for your advice.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Fourth, the peaking function sucks on a monitor that does not resolve highly enough. You will be fooled, because it will pick out contrasty areas that are out of focus. The monitor is virtually useless.
    I have a Samurai, I know this already.
    Well, I can't speak for your experience, but I routinely use the Ninja-2 to focus via peaking and it hasn't bit me yet.

7. Collapse Details
    This is perfect to coincide with the c100's rebate.

8. Collapse Details
    Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 and Canon 1DC
    Recently I tried to record footage in Hyperdeck Shuttle2 from the HDMI Out from Canon 1DC. There is no audio recorded in the SSD only Video is recorded. Can anyone help pls

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lalababu View Post
    Recently I tried to record footage in Hyperdeck Shuttle2 from the HDMI Out from Canon 1DC. There is no audio recorded in the SSD only Video is recorded. Can anyone help pls
    I think the 1DC is the same as the 5D mk3 - sound is not sent through hdmi.
    Check out this video for a workaround using the Ninja 2 which is probably similar to the Shuttle2.
    https://vimeo.com/m/65471795

10. Collapse Details
    Is Atomos working on a newer Ninja? I though the Ninja 2 was the latest? Excuse my ignorance, I was set on getting an AC7 LCD with Extreme Pro SD cards for my GH2, until I saw the price of SD cards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast