Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Birch View Post
    But it is a bit strange.... If they are confident enough to be upgrading cameras, they must have shot a shedload of test footage they could display.
    Probably all of test charts or members of the engineering team standing in front of green screens or the loading bay at night. The engineering team isn't going to waste time and money shooting anything you'll enjoy looking at.

However, I do agree that Red should get the marketing team to go out and shoot some pretty pictures. Maybe not the full Vincent Laforet promo short treatment the Japanese camera companies do, because they end up being so compressed on YouTube as to be inconclusive anyway. But a few clips short enough to be presented at full resolution. I'd even be fairly satisfied by full resolution stills.

2. Collapse Details
    well,
    thing is that picturewise you will not see that much difference in the same rez the old camera was. ( same as with my f3 f55 quick comparison) it's there, but it's not like going from dv to hd...
    still, the new sensors are better. anyone has to judge if they need that. the epic has quite great specs as is, and 9.500dollars can get you lots of other gear...
    stefankroesbacher.com

stefan krösbacher
    ferdinand-weyrer-str. 5/1/4
    a-6020 innsbruck

http://www.stefankroesbacher.com
    mail@stefankroesbacher.com

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    Probably all of test charts or members of the engineering team standing in front of green screens or the loading bay at night. The engineering team isn't going to waste time and money shooting anything you'll enjoy looking at.

However, I do agree that Red should get the marketing team to go out and shoot some pretty pictures. Maybe not the full Vincent Laforet promo short treatment the Japanese camera companies do, because they end up being so compressed on YouTube as to be inconclusive anyway. But a few clips short enough to be presented at full resolution. I'd even be fairly satisfied by full resolution stills.
    Maybe John Force Racing who use Red cameras could shoot some 6K @100fps of Brittany Force @300+ mph.
    8647602183_45bc2450cd_b.jpg
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

4. Collapse Details
    I know many people who put deposits down on cameras from BMC, F55, Af100, F3 etc. without ever seeing footage.

5. Collapse Details
    I never put any deposit down on my F55... I just waited until they were in stock and then got it.

(still without ever seeing any serious conclusive footage to Bob's point)
    Dennis Hingsberg

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Birch View Post
    While i take their DR and ISO claims with a pinch of salt, RED have built up plenty of trust, with some great imagery from the MX sensor... So i can understand people going in "blind".

But it is a bit strange.... If they are confident enough to be upgrading cameras, they must have shot a shedload of test footage they could display.

I seem to remember Red hyping MX as they greatest sensor of all times, surpassing all that had come before and vanquishing all who have yet to come.

Turns out they were talking about the sensor in the Alexa.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I seem to remember Red hyping MX as they greatest sensor of all times, surpassing all that had come before and vanquishing all who have yet to come.

Turns out they were talking about the sensor in the Alexa.
    Red Epic MX does beat Alexa in terms of resolution (by a lot - sometimes this is important), and if you use HDRX in terms of dynamic range. Epic is also much lighter than Alexa (often important), and I like the Red RAW SDK a lot better. It has more settings, and allows more flex in post in certain ways. Epic is a great tool, and more practical than Alexa in many situations.

So this claim was valid in many ways.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo View Post
    Red Epic MX does beat Alexa in terms of resolution (by a lot - sometimes this is important), and if you use HDRX in terms of dynamic range. Epic is also much lighter than Alexa (often important), and I like the Red RAW SDK a lot better. It has more settings, and allows more flex in post in certain ways. Epic is a great tool, and more practical than Alexa in many situations.

So this claim was valid in many ways.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but to each his own. Red certainly didn't get my money.

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, if RED was going to the bother & expense of building a clean room at NAB to swap sensors….
    to make the Dog & Pony show complete they should have had a studio next door with babes wearing RED bikinis….
    Where is the footage? Didn't these cameras work after the upgrade? What was the purpose of this exercise???

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schrengohst View Post
    Yeah, if RED was going to the bother & expense of building a clean room at NAB to swap sensors….
    to make the Dog & Pony show complete they should have had a studio next door with babes wearing RED bikinis….
    Where is the footage? Didn't these cameras work after the upgrade? What was the purpose of this exercise???
    Those cameras got upgraded but don't have final firmware. I read somewhere on REDUSER that it will be a few weeks before they are usable by the owners.

However, maybe the owners will be given alpha firmware and permission to shoot... just not post anything?

Anyway, the purpose of the exercise was marketing and fun and to highlight the upgradability of their cameras. They succeeded at that for sure.

Of course, like a lot of people I also don't really understand why an upgradeable camera is a huge "invention". Firstly, I would actually prefer it if RED updated the Epic bodies for Dragon - they aren't perfect designs by any means. Secondly, the second hand market always worked for me. But to each his own.

Bruce Allen
    www.boacinema.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast