Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RED is Building 6K Dragon Cameras Live at NAB in a Custom-Built Clean Room
    • Dragon finally has landed and it's all good news. Things have changed a bit for the better for us too. Notably Red found a way to push out 100fps at 6K from the previous 86fps. The other huge news is that the Dragon upgrade is literally happening right now and upgrades are happening even right on the NAB show floor.

Here's the rundown of the specifications on the upgrade path for both Epic and Scarlet owners:

Epic Upgrade Options:

- Epic-M owners can pre-order the upgrade for $9500
      - Early Red adopters can pre-order for $8500 and receive a $1000 store credit when invoiced.
      - Epic-X owners can pre-order their upgrade at $9500 today.
      - New Epic-M Dragon cameras will be sold for $29K, pre-orders now. Ships after Epic-M owners have had their chance to upgrade.
      - Epic-X Dragon cameras will be priced at $24K, shipping and release information unknown at this time.

Scarlet Upgrade Options:

- Trade in your Scarlet-X to upgrade to Epic-X with the Mysterium-X sensor for $9500. Upgrade your Epic-X to Full Epic Dragon for an additional $9500.
      - Upgrade the Scarlet-X to Scarlet Dragon for $9500. Scarlet Dragon will be a 5K, 60fps camera.
      - Pre-orders for upgrades begin Thursday, upgrades start in July.
      - Scarlet Dragon price and availability TBD.

So to be clear, Epic and Scarlet can be upgraded to Dragon.

Dragon will exist in three flavors:

- Epic-M Dragon $29,000
      - Epic-X Dragon $24,000
      - Scarlet Dragon $????? (at the moment)

Brain Surgery

As I mentioned earlier, Red is upgrading select Epic cameras to Epic Dragon at NAB. Red has built a Class 100 Clean Room as part of their booth and allowed us to witness exactly the process each camera will go through on it's journey to becoming a Dragon. It's really a fascinating thing to observe. I don't know how long I watched, but I came back a few times to see the progress while zipping around through the booth.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-s-NAB-Journal

Red-Dragon-Upgrade-12.jpg

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/0...lt-clean-room/
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

2. Collapse Details
    And?... Are they going to be handing out tissue paper, or is the "clean" room going to be covered in wank by the end of the show?

3. Collapse Details
    Has anyone seen some a test or review of the Dragon sensor or are all these Epic owners upgrading on good faith and the spec sheet?

4. Collapse Details
    2 people I know want to see footage before they upgrade their Epics...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryinCalifornia View Post
    2 people I know want to see footage before they upgrade their Epics...
    Smart. I've read its only a 90 day warranty and no footage seems to be available but they built a clean room on NAB floor to expedite upgrades... but still no footage. hmmm

6. Collapse Details
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?

7. Collapse Details
    GH5, Sony FDR-X3000,Nikon P1000 , a6300 , NX1 , GH4 , Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 , Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 ASPH Power OIS , Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 ,Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1.8 ED , 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS , Sony A7r , FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS , Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA ,Sony Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA , 28-70mm FE OSS, 15mm F2.8 , 24mm F1.4, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F1.4

8. Collapse Details
    Has there been any footage shown yet?
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

9. Collapse Details
    It's kind of weird that there are a few cameras announced at NAB and not a lick of footage. Just specs. They have us so duped in believing it's better that were lining up and ordering without having to truly showcase anymore. That being with images.
    I'm thinking about going to NAB to sell chocolate bars with wrappers that say "4K" and "15 stops" on them. Who's to say thats really chocolate??????

10. Collapse Details
    While i take their DR and ISO claims with a pinch of salt, RED have built up plenty of trust, with some great imagery from the MX sensor... So i can understand people going in "blind".

But it is a bit strange.... If they are confident enough to be upgrading cameras, they must have shot a shedload of test footage they could display.
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast