Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Disappointing?
    Didn't Barry say before NAB that Panasonic would probably not be releasing something because that is not their business cycle?
    Why is anyone surprised?
    Next year.

And frankly, if I was Panasonic I would be darn glad I hadn't developed and released something.
    How can anyone compete with the show stealing Blackmagic cameras?
    I think they will be in the unique position of being able to properly evaluate the market and decide where they want to go as a result.

And let's face it, the elephant in the room is the little GH2 and GH3's. A lot of the clamoring indie crowd will be going towards those anyhow.
    So for serious broadcast, I am quite sure they will come to the market with something next year.

2. Collapse Details
    Yep, can't blame them for not joining this race to the bottom.

Once the dust settles, alot of people will probably realise they don't actually need 4K/raw and will be back looking for a really good 1080p camera.... Maybe this is when Panasonic will make their move.
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

3. Collapse Details
    Well the PMW 400 from sony will possibly make me move back to them if the price is right as the HPX600 just doesn't do it for me!
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    And let's face it, the elephant in the room is the little GH2 and GH3's. A lot of the clamoring indie crowd will be going towards those anyhow.
    The only thing my GH3 has convinced me of so far is, that if I can handle this unintuitive SOB, I will be able to handle the touchscreen DellHPLenovoesque BMCC as well.
    With the new miniBMCC, there shouldn't be a doubt, what company the "indie crowd" will buy their camera from.
    The not so indie anymore crowd can soon even get 35mm 4K for 4K.
    And if Nikon would only add an in-camera high bitrate codec to their HDSLRs, they'd destroy GH3 sales for video work.
    And the GH2? If you´re really operating on a shoestring, it will probably stay popular until all those (yet to come and soon be gone) BMCC "model one" users upgrade to the 4K 35mm versions and sell their m43 versions...
    Last edited by Spartacus; 04-09-2013 at 03:54 AM.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    I LIKE FOOD. FOOD IS GOOD.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Panasonic was busy releasing new camcorders, the HPX5000 and a new .... 2/3" Varicam.
    Are they not the same thing? Two press releases basically announcing the same product?

And nice though it may be, nice though features like 1080p/50 may be, it's 4k and large sensor that have been making the headlines (and sales) for the last couple of years for most of Panasonics competitors - witness the number of orders placed for Sonys F5/55 in the last couple of months. I thought a 4K large sensor Varicam mockup was shown by Panasonic last year, now it seems that even that has gone away. I was expecting it to at least have become a prototype by now?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Disappointing?
    Didn't Barry say before NAB that Panasonic would probably not be releasing something because that is not their business cycle?
    Why is anyone surprised?
    Because they really have nothing in this category, the business cycle for this could start at any time. Plus, when asked at NAB 2012 when Panasonic would release the 4K VariCam, Jan Crittenden said, "at least a year or year and a half out." So it would not be unreasonable to entertain the idea that Panasonic would at least announce the camera at this year's NAB, especially given the spate of 4K cameras announced or released by Sony and even Canon over the past year.
    Last edited by Tzedekh; 04-09-2013 at 06:25 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by harddrive View Post
    Are they not the same thing? Two press releases basically announcing the same product?

And nice though it may be, nice though features like 1080p/50 may be, it's 4k and large sensor that have been making the headlines (and sales) for the last couple of years for most of Panasonics competitors - witness the number of orders placed for Sonys F5/55 in the last couple of months. I thought a 4K large sensor Varicam mockup was shown by Panasonic last year, now it seems that even that has gone away. I was expecting it to at least have become a prototype by now?
    No, the HPX5000 and the new, as yet unnamed Varicam are different cameras.

8. Collapse Details
    I am disappointed not to hear anything new from Panasonic. But I also agree that they should not rush anything to market. They are in a unique position to evaluate, as others have said, the effect of the Black Magic Pocket camera and 4K camera, on the market. It's not about making the first product, but rather the best.

9. Collapse Details
    Steak Knife Member David G. Smith's Avatar
    Well, remember that NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters, NOT the National Association of Independent Filmmakers. I think that Panasonic's offerings this year are very respectable. From what I have seen of the info on the Varicam update it seems to be one heck of a camera. While it is not likely to happen anytime soon, If I was tasked with shooting a properly budgeted documentary for broadcast I would definitely want to give the Varicam a day in court in pre-pro.
    "The enemy of art is the absence of limitations"
    -Orson Wells.

"To me the great hope is... people that normally wouldn't be making movies will make them and suddenly some little fat girl in Ohio will be the new Mozart and will make a beautiful film using her father's camera-corder and the "Professionalism" of movie making will be destroyed forever and it will finally become an art form."
    -Francis Ford Coppola.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David G. Smith View Post
    Well, remember that NAB is the National Association of Broadcasters, NOT the National Association of Independent Filmmakers.
    That is a good point. But I guess there is no place for indie film announcements. I wonder if it would have been better for BMD to announce at SXSW? Probably not as so far they have stole the show.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast