Quote Originally Posted by androbot2084 View Post
So Panasonic introduces a Quad HD camera that is 4 times higher resolution than 720p at 60 frames per second and people say there is nothing from Panasonic?
1280 x 720 x 60 = 55 million pixels per second
1920 x 1080 x 120 = 248 million pixels per second.
androbot2084 - I'm now genuinely uncertain whether you are simply trolling, or just haven't grasped certain facts, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt one last time. Most particularly, the newly announced Varicam *IS*NOT*A*120FPS*CAMERA* as such. Got it? The 120fps facility is intended for slo-mo - not for shooting 1080p/120. As far as the thread title, I suspect it's thinking more towards the non-announcement of any much awaited update to the AF100. The new Varicam may not be "nothing", but it's far less than it needs to be at this price point nowadays, and not available for another year anyway. Yes, 1080p/60 is better than 720/60p - but it's not up to 4k/60p, which is the new bar for top end production.
How can Sony's 4k camera be called ultra high definition when the frame rate is no better than regular high definition? Remember video is all about motion and ultra high definition is all about liquid motion.
Analyse most video productions, and you'll find there are lots of static elements in most scenes - that's the whole basis behind why inter-frame compression is so successful! Which is why ultra high definition is first and foremost about spatial resolution - though yes, 4k demands a framerate of more like 60p to do it justice. You also seem to be ignoring that the Sony F55 will not only do 4k/60p, but also 1080 at 180fps or even 240fps 2K RAW with the optional AXS-R5 outboard recorder. Don't believe me? Try looking at http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/35...tures#features (5th paragraph down). Yes, as well as the 4k options, if 1080 spatial is good enough for you, it gives twice the framerate of the forthcoming Varicam! (And it's available now! )
The Panasonic Varicam saves the day with its variable frame rate ramping which means higher frame rates without the soap opera effect but somehow this counts for nothing?
You seem to be misunderstanding the concept of the Varicam, seem to be thinking that it will record at variable framerates, and then replay at the same (variable) rates. That's not the way it works. Playback framerate is fixed - therefore varying the record framerate means slow or fast motion, *NOT* a variation of motion rendition.

Or do you know that only too well - and are just trolling?