1. Collapse Details
    OUT OF TIME - a sic-fi web series
    DVXFest Promo Guru Rodney V. Smith's Avatar
    It's been a while since I've posted here, but wanted to let you guys know about the new webseries I'm producing. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Filmed on Canon T2i (with Magic Lantern), with Glidetrack Slider, 3 Lowel Totas and 2x 300bulb LED Panels.
    18-55mm Canon stock lens, 14mm Sigma wide angle, 50mm Nikon, 105mm Nikon

60224_423134874410015_1440055239_n.jpg
    OUT OF TIME - a sci-fi webseries
    Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/outoftimeseries

It is 60 days after the murder of his girlfriend Sara and Chris Allman has been jumping into the past to try to stop her death from occurring. He is encountered at every jump by men in black who work for Sosumi, the company who implanted the chip in his brain that enables him to make the jumps into the past. Chris is unaware of the effect his jumps is having on his present self but he is aware that he is being monitored by Dr Osborn and his assistant Samantha, who work for Sosumi. Chris' ally Dr Marianna Sheppard is convinced that the jumps will eventually kill him...

STARRING:
    Steve Kasan, Julia Macpherson, Robert Nolan, Katie MacTavish, Dulce Felix, James Dalzell

FEATURING: Shailene Garnett, Dave Dalziel, Brian Quintero, Shayan Mannan, Catalina Yue, Paul Nicholls, Hershell Andoh, Kelly Marie-Murtha, Onna Chan

PRODUCERS: Dulce Felix, Rodney V. Smith, Steve Kasan, J. Sibley Law
    DIRECTED BY: Rodney V. Smith, Shailene Garnett
    FILMED & EDITED: Rodney V. Smith
    ORIGINAL SCORE: Rob Sbar
    SOUND MIX: James Hicken
    VISUAL F/X: Flyin' Monkey VFX
    PRODUCTION COMPANIES: For Zabou Productions, Flyin' Monkey Films
    MUSIC: "The War at Home"
    Words and music by Chris Saunders
    Used by Permission, All Rights Reserved.

Rodney Smith - Flyin' Monkey Films
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer
    Website | IMDB Link | Web Series
    HVX200, Brevis35+Flip, Glidecam V-8

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    cool stuff, awesome production value. id watch another episode. clever

only critisim , is maybe the director could use maybe some acting classess to learn how to extract better performances and cast for people who can deliver better performances. Even the bit players with small roles can make a different to believing the world you created - but of course what do i know? nuffin. disregard

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by john threat View Post
    cool stuff, awesome production value. id watch another episode. clever

only critisim , is maybe the director could use maybe some acting classess to learn how to extract better performances and cast for people who can deliver better performances. Even the bit players with small roles can make a different to believing the world you created - but of course what do i know? nuffin. disregard

It seems to me that a lot of the acting is being hurt/destroyed by very poor ADR. On occasion it's almost like watching a dubbed movie, which of course will push the viewer into believing the acting is bad/cheesy. I'm not saying the acting is good in any case, but I really believe the ADR is a huge part of it.

On the whole i'm impressed with what you were able to get out of your T2i. Some scenes look much better than others, but you obviously put a lot of time into this series. Just really work on getting better performances, keep on pushing.
    Follow me on Twitter: @jg_henderson

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    is sic-fi a new category? sounds cool dude! I got some Sic-fi! ahead of the curve

5. Collapse Details
    at this level and with this material, (low budget sci fi), I wouldn't fret about the acting. Obviously you try to get the best performances you can, no ones saying you shouldn't, but this schtuff were all doing is HARD. so yeah, acting in spots could've been better, but overall you have something stylish and exciting that's well shot, tons of action, no boring stretches, you're really bringing the goods and REPRESENTING YOUR GENRE. Personally I would grade it more daringly, like an icy blue green or desaturate it to show the guys loneliness or something, I dunno, that's just me. It has its rough spots (acting, dubbing) but overall, great work. The poster's good too, sells it perfectly. Good luck and godspeed!'
    Be wary, my pre-2014 posts are full of arrogant dogmatizing. Little older and wiser now.

"Noone is as arrogant as a beginner"
    -Someone

"The foundation of film art is editing"
    - V.I. Pudovkin

-Cinema is closer to language than it is to painting"
    - Sergei Eisenstein

6. Collapse Details
    That was interesting (good interesting). Now the exposition is out of the way I think most the actors will begin to settle comfortably into their roles. This episode rushed through a lot of backstory and could have benefited from a little more mystery and left some of the information for later episodes to uncover. By its nature it resulted in stilted acting, information overload and no heart. I felt no impact from his girlfriend's death. But scifi is a genre with an audience that can tolerate this kind of set up, many shows get the background out of the way up front and into the story proper in the second episode. I hope future episodes will relax the breakneck pace a little and deliver more rounded stories, let the characters develop and connect with some real emotions. I think the few negatives will evolve naturally, nothing that can't be put down to normal pilot issues. I'm seeing real potential here and the show will quickly realise what it wants to be. Once it does it will focus and everything will come together. Nice work.