1. Collapse Details
    HPX370(1) VS HPX250 for Wildlife (some questions!!!)
    Hi,

I need a camera for some documentary work about wild animals in my region (mainly birds).

I need a camera with broadcast quality 10bit, 422, so probably will buy one of these two cameras.

The cameras have almost equal specs, so I need to know from people who have use them some things like for instance the quality of image at end zoom range, overall sharpness and some other aspects you might consider important.

Can someone tell me if I can use pre-rec with pall settings, 1080, 25p?

Also need to know, if using in the HPX371 a 1/3" nikon G mount adapter, will be able to use nikon lens, for instance a 70-200mm f/2.8, without significant loss of quality getting a substantial increase of zoom range (490-1400)

http://www.abelcine.com/store/MTF-Ni...yonet-Adapter/

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    I would go for an HPX371 as you can pick them up for quite low cost and it will be more flexible for you, it will be easier to control on long lenses and as you say a nikon adaptor is the way to go. I use mine with a nikon 70-300mm lens.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Gary,

Do you know if I will be able to use pre-rec in 1080 25p?

4. Collapse Details
    Just checked my own cameras and you can only do 1080 50i pre rec with AVC intra 50 or 100, you can do 1080 25p pre rec with DVCPro HD though!

I love my HPX 301 and 371 and have had them for four years now, great little ENG cameras and very flexible as they do all formats and if I need to I can put on a nikon 70-300mm or even a 2/3" longer zoom for wildlife etc!

I saw a full package with cards and batteries go for around £4k recently so they can be had for a good price.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryNattrass View Post
    Just checked my own cameras and you can only do 1080 50i pre rec with AVC intra 50 or 100, you can do 1080 25p pre rec with DVCPro HD though!

I love my HPX 301 and 371 and have had them for four years now, great little ENG cameras and very flexible as they do all formats and if I need to I can put on a nikon 70-300mm or even a 2/3" longer zoom for wildlife etc!

I saw a full package with cards and batteries go for around £4k recently so they can be had for a good price.

Thanks Gary,

Can you please tell me where have you seen a 371 for £4k? Its seams a very great price...

About the pre-rec, for wildlife the pre-rec is indispensable, its too bad the 371 doesn“t do it in 1080p AVCIntra 100, even the 3 sec pre-rec are not much, best is 10sec at least.

Even my RED ONE does 10 or 30 sec pre-rec and its a 4K raw camera, any JVC does a more than 10 sec pre-rec...

I can“t understand why Panasonic dont make a decent pre-rec in their cameras, its only a software isue, if they want, they could do it very easy...

6. Collapse Details
    Probably down to cost as it is the size of the buffer and besides the 301/371 was designed for news operation.

There was an HPX301 with batteries and two 64gb cards sold via a forum on e-bay recently for less than £4k and I have seen quite frequently low cost nearly new 371's on e-bay in the UK.

If you are doing PAL the 301 is just as good as the 371 as the only difference is the PAP filters, they claimed a new sensor for the 371 but this was not really the case as they just changed the filters which didn't really work either as it produced other artifacts. Noise and skew in PAL is absolutely acceptable and it is only when you do drop frame or NTSC it gets a bit noticeable.
    /

7. Collapse Details
    You can get nearly-infinite pre-record on any P2 camera, if you use the "loop" recording mode. Not convenient if you intend to be making many clips on the cards, but if you're waiting for one specific event, loop recording will give you as much pre-record as you have recording time on two cards (so, two hours on two 64GB cards).