Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony F55 & Canon 1DC 4K side by side
    Senior Member CinemaElectronika's Avatar
    Henry Epstein / CinemaElectronika
    Arri Alexa Mini / Red Epic-W Helium 8K / RED Epic-X Dragon / RED Epic-X Mysterium / Sony PMW-F55 4KRAW / Sony PXW-FS5 / Nikon D810 / Arri Ultra Primes / Leica R Primes / Zeiss CP.2 PL Primes / Nikon ED Zooms / Odyssey 7Q+ / Easyrig Cinema 3 & Flowcine Serene "Extended" / Ronin Full Size "Extended"

2. Collapse Details
    Vimeo is a hard place to appreciate 4k, regardless of flavor. I don't see a whole lot too look at because I would be pinching Vimeo - not the cameras involved.
    Carlos Acosta
    bringing a little love to the camera department

3. Collapse Details
    There's a 4k download up there.

4. Collapse Details
    The only things that especially struck me:

a) C-Log looks muddier that S-Log2 but no ones going to see it so who cares.

b) The highlights on the guy's forehead were sharper in color corrected C-Log than any of the S-Log2 clips.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke M. View Post

b) The highlights on the guy's forehead were sharper in color corrected C-Log than any of the S-Log2 clips.
    They were clipping harder. The guy who colored those clips got the Sony provided, prettier SLog2 LUT from me about 2-3 days before that got posted.

6. Collapse Details
    There's a huge difference when watching 4K! Wow!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LeavingTheCandy View Post
    There's a huge difference when watching 4K! Wow!
    It appears the 1DC is about as 4K as the 5D2 was 1080p. Which is fine. It's small, it's the right tool for certain jobs.

I think there's better ways to get 4K for the money overall, though.

8. Collapse Details
    The 4k download finally finished.

You get what you pay for I guess. The F55 was way sharper and simply more pleasing to look at. The Canon looks like video processed for reality TV, the F55 is softer on the senses and sharper on the resolution. The DSLR form factor makes it easy to steal locations though......
    Carlos Acosta
    bringing a little love to the camera department

9. Collapse Details
    It was almost 16mm vs. 35mm on the 4K download. Pretty startling difference. I think the DR and low noise of the F55 is the killer app, but if you're going to shoot 4K, you'd think it would sharp, but not from the 1DC. I've seen C500 footage projected on a very large screen after being transcoded to ProRes 1080P, and it was still very sharp. Wonder why the 1DC is softer, sensor or processor or Motion JPEG codec? The F5 is the first video camera where I turned off the detail circuit and the resolution chart was still incredibly sharp, hard to tell the difference, the circuit was redundant, and I'm sure it's the same with the F55, of course.

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Sony PMW-F55, Canon C300 PL, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, 14, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135mm w/PL-mount, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine lenses.

Panasonic HPX255/250 P2,
    Sony EX1, HSC-300/HXC-100 cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

10. Collapse Details
    Even 4K MOV for downlaod is just a AVC at 50Mbits- if you want to make real comparison than you need at least 10bit ProRes HQ, not some heavily compressed version. Than you can see/test all advantages from both cameras. MJPEG in DC1 is a joke.

It's all covered by "50Mbit AVC effect", which is no near enough to see "REAL" footage from these cameras.
    Last edited by kolak; 03-19-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast