1. Collapse Details
    HMC150 - 2 Questions
    I'm always working with different cameras, software, equipment, etc. Recently, I took the ole HMC150 out for a small shoot. I had a conversation with a fellow on the shoot about post production. Long story short - I mentioned that I have been using FCPX for the past year or so and whenever I use AVCHD cameras, I work with the files natively. I never transcode the footage to ProRes. My understanding (which may be wrong) is why touch the footage more if you can work with it as is imported. But he was saying that transcoding to ProRes422 will provide better results during CC/grading.

Is this true?

Secondly, I filmed a few minutes of 1080/24p footage. I wanted the 180 shutter rule, but I didn't see the option of 1/48. It's been a while and I could not remember correctly if this was the right way to do it, but I ended up choosing Syncro Scan and dialing in 1/48.0 in the menu.

Was that correct?

Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    Synchro scan is the only way to get 1/48.0. Normally you just would turn the shutter to "OFF", which gives a default 1/50 shutter.

3. Collapse Details
    Panasonic AG-HMC150 Memory Card Usage

Has anyone successfully used a 64GB SDHC Memory Card in the Panasonic AG-HMC150 Camera?
    Just wondering if 32GB is the largest card it will accept?

I have been using a Sandisk 32GB card in it for a while now and wanted to step up to a 64GB card for more footage storage space but my Panasonic AG-HMC150 will not recognize the 64GB cards.
    I have tried a Sandisk Ultra 64GB and a Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB both class 10 cards.
    My Panasonic AG-HMC150 gives message that no card is installed when 64Gb cards are installed.

My Panasonic TM700 camera will read both of the 64GB cards just fine.
    I tried google searching the problem, but found nothing concerning this issue.

Anyone have any answers on this subject?

Thanks a lot.

4. Collapse Details
    Never had any luck with 64GB+ cards in the HMC150

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your comment.
    I guess the Panasonic AG-HMC does not allow the use of 64GB memory cards?

6. Collapse Details
    I used to transcode to PR422 when i used FCP7, now I rewrap the files in Clipwrap and bring them in to FCPX,
    I didn't see better results when CC'ing PR422, I've always found HMC151 footage fairly unforgiving, compared to say AF101 and AC161 (CMOS footage seems to hold up better)
    and the difference in file sizes editing native footage is a huge benefit to me
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

7. Collapse Details
    The HMC150 uses SDHC cards, not SDXC. It's incompatible with SDXC. If you're using a 64gb sdxc card, it will not work.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TubEfingers View Post
    I've always found HMC151 footage fairly unforgiving, compared to say AF101 and AC161 (CMOS footage seems to hold up better)
    What you're talking about isn't strictly a CCD vs CMOS matter. It is a 1st Gen HD 1/3" chips from chips vs 2nd Gen 1/3" chips from 2009.

(The HMC150 came out in 2008, but was just an updated version of the 2005 HVX CCDs (a little less noise, a little brighter). The AC160 came out in 2011 & but was mostly using the same (but updated) chips as the HPX300 from 2009.)

So between 2005 & 2009 Panasonic (as well as the other camera manufactures) made a lot of advancements in cheap HD cameras, one of the biggest things being that they figured out that they could get more resolution & sensitivity for the same cost if they went with CMOS instead of CCD.

So the AC160 has a lot better picture quality than a HMC150 w/o costing a LOT more. Almost completely because it is using CMOS instead of CCD. You could get a similar quality with CCD, it would just cost too much to make it worth while.
    Where are all the S-VHS hipsters?