1. Collapse Details
    Just Ordered SmallHD AC7
    Here's a shot of the AC7 sitting atop my HVX200.
    SmallHD_001.jpg

Just placed an order for the SmallHD AC7 (non-sdi version). Supposed to arrive monday. I'll post more when it comes for those interested.

I have word straight from Dave at SmallHD that if you purchase the Non-SDI version you CAN upgrade and have SDI installed in your monitor at a later date. Also, he assured me that they will not be replacing the AC7 with a new model at NAB...it was just released in Nov. so it's here to stay for awhile.

I got it to so that I FINALLY can just ignore the lcd on my HVX200....yes I still use the original...not the A

Here is the list of what I purchased with the costs. I think this is going to be a great monitor for the price:
    - AC7 Monitor ($599.00)
    - Sunhood ($59.99)
    - Acrylic Screen Protector ($19.99)
    - Neoprene Sleeve ($29.99)
    - Hot-Shoe Ball Mount ($19.99)
    - Panasonic Battery Bracket ($59.99)
    TOTAL with taxes and Overnight Shipping: $855.53

More info to come soon.
    Last edited by mb72378; 03-18-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

2. Collapse Details
    Initial thoughts on the Small HD AC7....video to come soon.

Pros
    (1) Not sure what it's called on a monitor but I'm getting a bad rolling shutter type effect when I pan....is this normal for lcd monitors? Not sure if it's because I'm using component to connect to the monitor (I dont think so though).
    (2) This monitor is light.....seriously. I underestimated this. I was worried initially when I ordered if my hotshoe mount would safely mount the monitor with those beefy Panasonic batteries....but it works like a charm. I can safely swivel the monitor and lock it down in any position I want without lots of stress on the HVX's top handle. I very much like the "soft feel" plastic used. Obviously the metal body would feel more high dollar but the plastic used is very nice and I still definitely get that feeling that it's pretty tough. I'm not concerned about it getting bumped around pretty good.
    (3) Extermely easy to use and set up. I was literally working 3 minutes out of the box. Just attach the battery plate, battery then plug in to camera.
    (4) the screen is sharp. I haven't used a monitor with my HVX in a long time so I can't compare it to other monitors but it is night and day difference from the cams lcd screen...duh.
    (5) Packaged very nicely by Small HD...thank you.
    (6) Buttons are solid...when you hit then they work everytime. The scroll wheel has a nice tension to it. Not too much not too little.
    (7) Small HD included in the box a free Screen cleaning cloth.

Cons (Some are just annoyances..not really cons)
    (1) There isn't much operating material in the box. Just one index card like paper describing buttons and ports etc. But nothing that goes into detail on all of the modes and settings. I guess you could just look it up online but it would be nice to have all the info for simple operating purposes without having to look up promotional videos. Like a paper break down of the menu might be helpful.
    (2) The way the sun hood attaches isn't the best design. 4 plastic rods run through the corner of the neoprene material. one end just pops into a hole on the monitor. The issue is that the neoprene is very tight on the end you look through...so there is a lot of twisting pressure on the part that pops into the monitor so I totally see this popping off....even worse over time the pressure might wear out the hole on the monitor making it impossible to mount the hood....not sure.
    (3) The small HD logo on the side of the screen hood isn't printed 100% correctly. They dont have the logo rotated properly. When attached...the small HD logo is upside down on one side. Merely a cosmetic complaint but let's face it...looks matter lol.
    (4) It's probably going to take a good bit of tweaking to try and match the monitor to what the footage actually looks like in an editor.

Price comes in at neither a pro or a con. To me...$850 is still a lot of money in general. So I'm always hyper critical when I buy something that expensive since I have to really justify the expense. The monitor price itself was good. $599. But I feel a bit agitated that I had to add so many things to my order to really make the monitor useful. I knew that I needed a battery plate can't just plug it into the wall all the time.....had to get a battery plate (this really should be included in the monitor.) I knew I'd have to mount the monitor...had to get the hotshoe mount. Knew I'd be shooting outside in the sun...had to get the hood. Knew that I should get the neoprene sleeve for pretection in the case...might as well protect the $600 monitor as bet as possible. I feel like this is an awesome built monitor and worth the $599 but flat out I think the price for the extras is a little steep. Why not offer a bundle for a small discount for the people who need everything?

That;s all that comes to mind immediately after opening the box and pluggin it in. I'll continue to add more info as I explore it more. Please feel free to ask questions....request pics of certain things etc. I know when I was looking to purchase I felt like I couldn't find enough hands on stuff about this entry model. It seems most of the stuff is on the higher in OLED models.
    Last edited by mb72378; 03-29-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    HVX200
    Libec LS38
    15" MacBook Pro i7 Quad-Core 8GB Ram
    24" Imac 2.9 Duo 4GB Ram
    Final Cut Studio
    Adobe Production Premium CS5.5
    http://www.mbowdenproductions.com

3. Collapse Details
    I've read in other places that calibrating the AC7 to get good/true color is very difficult. Do you have any comments on this?