1. Collapse Details
    Best DVX Compression FOR YOUTUBE
    Hey everyone, what would the best compression settings for 60i NSTC 4:3 footage be for youtube (DVX!00B)? I usually capture in imovie, take the footage in to final cut, and then compress with compressor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Why not capture in FCP? iMovie discard half of the interlaced frames of 60i, making it 30p. So, you lost half of your image. If I was you, I would shoot in 30p and capture with FCP, and maybe for export uprezz to 720p

3. Collapse Details
    I would definitely capture with FCP, but if you're in iMovie and you can export a progressive file out of there, do that, edit in FCP normally and then when you're in Compressor, export it as a H.264 file. It should already be progressive so you can leave your frame controls off; just mess around with your bit rate if you'd like. I think 4000-5000 kb/s is more than enough for SD. If the footage is interlaced, you need to turn your frame controls on and change the output to progressive. I would leave the other settings 'Better' as 'Best' is more processor intensive. I never up'd my SD footage to 720/1080 as I was worried it would degrade the image. There are more things you can do, but deinterlacing your 60i footage and having the best bitrate (keeping file size in mind) are the usual starting points.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I would definitely capture with FCP, but if you're in iMovie and you can export a progressive file out of there, do that, edit in FCP normally and then when you're in Compressor, export it as a H.264 file. It should already be progressive so you can leave your frame controls off; just mess around with your bit rate if you'd like. I think 4000-5000 kb/s is more than enough for SD. If the footage is interlaced, you need to turn your frame controls on and change the output to progressive. I would leave the other settings 'Better' as 'Best' is more processor intensive. I never up'd my SD footage to 720/1080 as I was worried it would degrade the image. There are more things you can do, but deinterlacing your 60i footage and having the best bitrate (keeping file size in mind) are the usual starting points.
    OK, thanks guys for the info. So capturing 60i footage in imovie really makes you lose half the resolution?

5. Collapse Details
    Should I still use the H.264 codec when uploading 60i footage to the web? And does anyone know why fcpx splits up captured footage in to segments? Its really annoying.

6. Collapse Details
    Well, youtube and vimeo plays really well with h264, not so with proress. About the spliting footage, I think it happens when fcpx encounter a stop in the timecode, so it insolate every shot. Otherwise, it has to be made by hand. Fcps has somewhat the same function. Sorry for my english, good luck