1. Collapse Details
    If You Couldn't Get a Canon XA10, What Would You Buy Instead?
    Hey all, I know this is yet another 'which camera' thread, but I thought I would put the question out there anyway. I had a Canon XA10 and foolishly sold
    it in favour of a Sony NEX-6, thinking that the NEX-6 could be an all-in-one device: travel camera, a replacement for my existing Canon T2i, and
    a camcorder.

I've been finding that I don't like the NEX-6 as much as I thought I would. I won't go into all the reasons here, but video quality is one.

I could always trick out my T2i and use that for shooting video, but I find getting accurate focus (aging eyes and alla that good stuff) is a pain
    and I don't know if getting an external monitor like a SmallHD DP4 and a loupe would be the answer. Plus, I do occasional 'talking-head' videos
    and the T2i lacks the continuous autofocus I would need for that purpose. Before getting the NEX-6, I looked at buying a Canon T4i and thought that
    the continuous AF sucked, badly. So I think I would rather have a dedicated camcorder.

I've been thinking about getting something other than a Canon XA10 this time around. The XA10 is a great camcorder, but I would like more
    physical controls - the touchscreen interface on the XA10 can be a pain to use, especially for gun-and-run situations where settings need
    to be changed on the fly. Plus, I found that the shape of the XA10 was such that it didn't fit my hand well and the camera became
    uncomfortale to hold for more than a few minutes at a time.

So which camera - other than the XA10 - would you recommend I consider buying, and why?

2. Collapse Details
    XF100 - natural upgrade, light, no touchscreen, broadcast quality, loads more settings. Been around a couple of years but IMO still no foreseeable technological changes which would date it. Go on, take out a loan if you have to, don't tell the wife how much it costs, at your age you deserve it. You won't regret it.

3. Collapse Details
    +1 for the XF100. Looks like the proper cam for your needs...however it might be out of your budget since it costs more than double than your previous XA10. If that is the case you may want to take a look at the panasonic AG-AC90.
    From what I see in the panasonic forum it looks like a great little camcorder in a very good price for what it is (less than 2000$). In any case you should check and handle every camera personally, even shoot and examine some footage if its possible,
    before you decide where to spend your money. Camera tests and reviews and footage on the web never tell the whole story...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrov View Post
    +1 for the XF100. Looks like the proper cam for your needs...however it might be out of your budget since it costs more than double than your previous XA10. If that is the case you may want to take a look at the panasonic AG-AC90.
    From what I see in the panasonic forum it looks like a great little camcorder in a very good price for what it is (less than 2000$). In any case you should check and handle every camera personally, even shoot and examine some footage if its possible,
    before you decide where to spend your money. Camera tests and reviews and footage on the web never tell the whole story...
    The XF-100 is one of the cameras I'm considering, although it is out of my price range. If I had enough money to buy the XF-100, it would definitely be the camera to get. I'm also looking at the Panasonic AC-AC90 - and much of what I've seen/read/heard about the camera is quite favourable, although I wonder about the camera's low-light performance capabilities with just three 1/4" sensor chips.

When the weather improves a bit more - i.e. the ice and snow are gone and the highways are clear, I might go to Toronto some weekend and check out the AC90 and the XF100 at one of the camera dealers there. I probably won't buy there - pro video cameras are quite expensive in Canada, and when you add in 13% for sales taxes, even the purchase of a lower-end prosumer camera can be a fairly weighty financial proposition.

True - tests and reviews and web footage don't - and can't - tell the whole story. This is especially true when I see badly rendered sample footage of various cameras posted to YouTube; it becomes rather hard to evaluate the real-world image quality that any given camera can provide.