1. Collapse Details
    Best way to do this "trace" effect?
    Question
    I can see how animating this would look cool. But how do you turn a photo into this? Any specific plug-ins?

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    adobe illustrator has a very good and easy to use trace feature(with advanced settings and the ability to edit the trace afterwards). after effects might(?) also have a similar feature but probably with less settings or manipulation after the fact.

3. Collapse Details
    Tried both and found the After Effects "Find Edges" feature did a better job, but no way to refine any parameters. The Illustrator "Live Trace" was a pain and got me no where near the desired result. None of these methods come close to the examples I posted. Surely there's a better way!? Those examples were posted by an amateur in a facebook page!

4. Collapse Details
    This looks exactly like FIND EDGES. Use it in Photoshop, not AE since it's only stills, but it's not a one button solution. You need to play with the values in the photo before the FIND EDGES is applied. Probably want to desaturate the image, then use curves or levels to get the image very contrasty. Basically give photoshop some guideance for which edges are important to you. You may need to go in with dodge and burn to make value adjustments to various areas (fade the BG back and bring the FG forward).
    Last edited by danjenkins; 02-17-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typeo